4 month old chicks sound raspy

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So I have been raising 3 bantam chicks for the past 4 months. Two are hens and one is a rooster. They have all been healthy and energetic up till a few days ago. My two hens have started sounding raspy?? Almost like they are losing their cheap if they try to speak loudly. When they are quiet they sound normal with the little cheeping. But idk what could be wrong. They are still very energetic, eating plenty, pooping normal, waking me up at the break of dawn. Is it because they are getting older?? My rooster has developed the territory behavior and is wanting to mate now so idk if mabey my girls are also starting to transition into adult hens? Could it be the change in the weather? It’s spring now and today it was in the 80° Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

So I have been raising 3 bantam chicks for the past 4 months. Two are hens and one is a rooster. They have all been healthy and energetic up till a few days ago. My two hens have started sounding raspy?? Almost like they are losing their cheap if they try to speak loudly. When they are quiet they sound normal with the little cheeping. But idk what could be wrong. They are still very energetic, eating plenty, pooping normal, waking me up at the break of dawn. Is it because they are getting older?? My rooster has developed the territory behavior and is wanting to mate now so idk if mabey my girls are also starting to transition into adult hens? Could it be the change in the weather? It’s spring now and today it was in the 80° Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
What did you learn about this? I have 10 week old chicks. Only one sounds raspy just in the last three days.

What did you learn about this? I have 10 week old chicks. Only one sounds raspy just in the last three days.
I'll as you the same thing, the OP never replied back to this thread:idunno
Can you get a video of the noise she's making? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Do you notice any mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, etc.?
How is the chick's behavior?
Can you get a video of them making the raspy noise? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Their voices do change as they mature.

I'll as you the same thing, the OP never replied back to this thread:idunno
Can you get a video of the noise she's making? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Do you notice any mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, etc.?
How is the chick's behavior?

My white chick, Sunshine - 10 weeks old.
No sneezing or coughing. Still energetic, eating and pooping is normal.
But this raspy chirp. For 3 days.
Please let me know if this is something to be concerned about.

My white chick, Sunshine - 10 weeks old.
No sneezing or coughing. Still energetic, eating and pooping is normal.
But this raspy chirp. For 3 days.
Please let me know if this is something to be concerned about.

Ooops…. Shouldn’t have said white chick 🙄🙄🙄😂😂
The white and black. There!
I'm not really hearing anything raspy like respiratory illness. I'll get @Eggcessive @azygous to take a listen.
Voice change possibly, they can start to make all sorts of sounds as they start "growing up".

Hi! It sounds like your girls are doing good, you saying theyre eating, drinking, pooping, etc. I actually have an adult hen who has an odd quiet raspish kind of sound, and she 6 years old and laying eggs every day! In my experience it seems ok :) but definitly trust your gut if something is wrong. Good luck with your girls!

Back
Top Bottom