4 month old Cuckoo Marans not growing

MartinsPoultry

Songster
Nov 3, 2016
Slanesville, West Virginia
I have five Cuckoo Maran chickens that are 4 months of age and they are still small. I did the correct time frame for feeding them chick starter, slowly switched them to adult feed and then growth stopped. I have two cockerels and three pullets. These guys eat like monsters, all birds have been dewormed and treated for cocci we had a small case of it this fall.
With them not growing they are also not putting on weight and I was thinking of placing them back on chick starter for the winter.
I feed two times a day layer feed, they have access to grit daily, fresh as fresh as i can buy greens.
I can post photos of them. My fiance thinks they are not true Cuckoo Marans but Bantam Marans or Bantam Barred Rocks with their size.

It is possible they are bantams, however, at 4 months of age, 16 weeks, you have pushed adult layer feed too early.

Adult layer feed is not fed until point of lay, which is at minimum 18 weeks for those commercial hybrids that mature quickly and closer to 20 weeks for those more "hybrid" breeds that take longer to mature.

I have pushed layer feed earlier when I've had multiple pens going and ran out of chick start with no obvious growth issues, so it may have nothing to do with that.

Do post pictures so we can see if it is likely bantams or possibly something like coccidia or MG slowing their growth.

LofMc

What "adult" feed are you feeding? When I first started raising chicks I did what I was instructed by the feed store; Chick Starter until 18wks gradually switching to Layer (16% protein). However, since reading & learning on BYC, I've changed my feeding.

Now I start off with a small bag of Chick Starter then switch to Flock Raiser (20% protein), some switch to All Flock (I thing 18%). I add a separate dish of Oyster Shells when their combs/wattles turn red, I also ferment their feed. I've also learned to keep the treats limited, my girls have gained weight since I cut back on treats (veggies & fruits), treats tend to neutralize the nutrients in their feed.
Have learned ALOT from BYC Members :bow

Heres one of the cockerels and pullets waiting on attention. They are about half the size of my barred rock chicken hens right now.
IMG_20171215_134651.jpg

I can't see much in that photo for correct breed identification other than it appears cuckoo, and they appear healthy.

A Marans will mature more slowly than a commercial line Barred Rock, which matures quickly being a more production type breed.

That's all I can say from that. (Do note that the legs on Marans should be light grey/white/pink while Barred Rock will be yellow with some black wash).

Lofmc

Back
Top Bottom