4 Month old Pekin, Really sick, Swollen leg

@Amiga I don't think he needs help eating, he eats corn just fine, he's a little slow as you can tell because he's weak. But we're giving him everything we can.

We haven't weighed him because we don't know how to do it properly, we cant tell he's not getting any lighter because we pick him up every so often to move him or clean around him.

What is wrong with his feet? What I really want is for him to walk around, his feet are swollen, if it's not bumblefoot what could it be? And how could we bring down the swelling and help him walk again. Sorry for all this, it's just very frustrating not knowing what's wrong with him
hit.gif

Have you weighed him?

He may need syringe feeding or tube feeding.

There is information about tube feeding at Go Team Tube Feeding thread.

Majestic Waterfowl has a video demonstrating syringe feeding on their FB page.

You need to be careful not to push food down the wrong tube, but he needs nutrition and if he's not eating, he needs help.
Tube feeding is what I would do, and I can teach *anyone* that wants to learn.

-Kathy

@casportpony Would we tube feed him even though he seems to be eating normally, he may not be eating as much but he does eat

Thank you once again!

He's eating much better, he eats peas and corn, doesn't really like the dried corn. He sometimes attempts to walk around but just can't. We haven't weighed him.

He's eating much better, he eats peas and corn, doesn't really like the dried corn. He sometimes attempts to walk around but just can't. We haven't weighed him.

He needs proper food and you need to weigh him. Can you go to the feed store and get Purina Flock Raiser?

-Kathy

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to be sure you are supplementing his niacin with brewer's yeast. Growing ducklings need WAY more niacin than feed can provide. Stop any meds, especially the Aleve! Aleve can not be given to animals! He doesn't need antibiotics for a niacin deficiency. You can get brewer's yeast tablets at TSC, or any pet store. Put it in both his food and water. Follow label instructions for dosing. He needs veggies; kale, tomatoes, etc. Add Savachick to his water for electrolytes. Try to get him to eat some plain yogurt to combat the effects of the antibiotics. Let him float in the tub. The early possible bumblefoot I saw will resolve once you get him moving normally again. Be sure to provide soft padding at all times. Consider joining a duck group on Facebook such as Positively Fowl.

As far as his eating... Make him a warm mash with some of his pellets, Cheerios, raw oatmeal, plain cream of wheat, the brewer's yeast. Easy on the layer pellets or chick starter, if that's what you're using. Too much protein is not good for ducklings. Again, I would STOP ALL MEDS at this point, since you don't know what is wrong. He's probably had to many meds already. Do you have an avian vet? He really needs to be seen by an avian vet ASAP. It could be any number if things, most common are the niacin deficiency and heavy metal poisoning. An x-ray and/or blood work will detect any metal he may have ingested. Where are you located? I have a huge network of duck people... Maybe one could help you. I'm worried for this baby.

@gunndogs So we'll stop giving him medication, we're located in southern New Mexico, and as you probably know, vet is extremely expensive and don't have the money right now, as much as we want to take him, we just can't.

So what you're suggesting is that he has niacin deficiency? What exact foods would you recommend? He's been inside for the past week on a soft padding resting, we occasionally take him out to the pond so he can wash himself and maybe try to swim, but he immediately comes back to the shore. I just noticed that he was breathing hard, is his nostrils clogged? He is NOT getting better at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom