Care Advice for a Pekin duck with a deformed leg.

Dec 3, 2023
Howdy! I am looking for some tips and advice if you have any!
Here is a quick little story to explain everything.
EDIT: I talked to my local Career center, and they will be making him a prosthetic leg. So hoping for the best and that it will help him!!

Back in August, I was given a young 4-month-old male Pekin duck, with a deformed leg. The old owners did not take the greatest care of him, and gave him to me hoping I could provide better care, or at least give him a good final few weeks of life. I was informed that they planned he would die within weeks of having him, given his leg disability. Well, Fast forward to today and he is still going. He has a lot of trouble getting around, but he's always been able to crawl over to the pond, water bowl, and food bowl with determination. He's never let it majorly slow him down, he is definitely a strong little guy! I take extra care to ensure he always has dry bedding to be on, and that he can get into water as much as possible, since swimming is a great therapy exercise for him. I give him extra treats, and make sure to supplement their food and water with extra vitamins and minerals. I'm not sure if it is doing much though, because despite the extra steps I've taken, he is not as healthy as my other ducks. I almost feel as if his health is slowly starting to decline like predicted.

The biggest thing is his weight, he is pretty tiny compared to the others, and his weight is less than the others (He is not emaciated, but is noticeably lighter than the others.) Another thing that bothers me a ton is his feathers, my main concern. My other Pekins have the glossy, shiny, waterproof feathers that are characteristic to ducks. This little guy however has these awful, ruffled feathers and is even missing feathers along his wings and on top of his wings. I think this is maybe a result of him not preening his feathers? He also uses his wings to push himself along the ground. He also has to deal with one duck that attempts to mate with him, getting on his back daily. Could the other duck getting on him, really cause a duck's feathers to be in such horrible shape? I apply blu koat to the bare areas to protect against any cuts he may get from the other duck's claws.

But it crossed my mind that maybe I am not providing a certain vitamin he may need? I'm aware of the different vitamins and mineral needs ducks have compared to other poultry, but I am new to ducks (Only have had them for about a year). I've always just had turkeys, chickens, and guineas for poultry. Any advice on extra tips or advice on the care I could provide him would be greatly appreciated! I really want to make sure I can give him the proper care, and help make his troubled life a little easier for him. I want to provide him with the best care and life I possibly can, and want to make sure I am not missing anything crucially important. I understand that his leg makes that difficult, even if I am doing everything I can. But I will still try anything I can for him.
Has anyone else kept ducks with deformed legs and had success with it? Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and offer any help!

Last edited:
I would definitely separate him from the duck that is abusing him. I would also make sure that he has unimpeded access to feed.

Make sure that he is getting a balanced diet for ducks or an all flock feed. Supplement with some human B complex tablets crushing 1/2 tablet daily on his food with a little water. That has niacin and other b vitamins, which ducks need a little more of. Hopefully, he builds up his strength.

I would definitely separate him from the duck that is abusing him. I would also make sure that he has unimpeded access to feed.
Thank you for your comment!
Yeah, I have separated them before. The problem is that they were hatched together and are attached at the hip. When separated, they become super stressed, even when separated by a fence where they can still see each other. But yes, I think they will just have to get over that and learn to be separated for a bit.

Make sure that he is getting a balanced diet for ducks or an all flock feed. Supplement with some human B complex tablets crushing 1/2 tablet daily on his food with a little water. That has niacin and other b vitamins, which ducks need a little more of. Hopefully, he builds up his strength.
Thank you for this comment!
Yes, I give them mixes of all flock feed, Purina duck feed, and other brands of duck feed. I also make sure to give them leafy greens daily. I give them a vitamin-mineral mix in their water, but I have not tried any B vitamins before just by themselves though (I have heard that deficiency in can cause leg deformities. this guy was born with his, but maybe vitamin B can help? ) So I will try that.
Thank you!

yeah, sounds like the other duck isn't letting the runt eat.
Thank you for your comment!
From what I have seen, I have observed no fighting over the bowls of food. But that is just what I have seen, it could very possibly be happening when I am not with them...
As I was telling another commenter, I have separated them before. The problem is that they were hatched together and are attached at the hip. When separated, they become super stressed, even when separated by a fence where they can still see each other. But yes, I think they will just have to get over that and learn to be separated for a bit!!
Thank you.

I reached out to the local career center, and they are going to build a prosthetic leg for my duck! So hoping that will help!! I will continue to separate and give vitamin B. Hoping for the best!!

Back
Top Bottom