4 month old Welsummer :: Cockeral or Pullet??

Aw, hello, Brownie! That's interesting about the pecking order. Cricket is so clearly the dominant one over here. I'll let you know when Cricket lays her first egg and maybe Brownie will be a week later, based on their ages! Who really knows, though.

I can't remember how old my last generation of orpingtons were when they started to lay. Guessing my orps and australorp will be around 5.5-6 months?? Our last australorp got egg bound and died a few hours later... so sad. Hoping we have more success this time around.

Fair warning, I'm famously bad at taking pictures.
This is my little Brownie.

View attachment 1135127 View attachment 1135128

She's probably 11-12 weeks in these pics, but she's about 15 weeks now. She's not laying yet, but my Amber White, RIR, and Black Sexlink are about the same age as your Welsummer and they just started to squat. I'm hoping they'll be giving me my first eggs in the next week or two.
I have a mixed flock. Beside the ones I mentioned, I also have a Barred Rock pullet and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo (these are my Welsummer's brooder mates). I also have some that are a month younger than that group: a Buff Orpington, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Cuckoo Marans, and another surprise roo that's an Easter Egger.

It's funny because my Welsummer is the only one that kicks my EE roo's butt. She's been happy at the bottom of the pecking order... As long as she's above this Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom