4 week old Australorp pullet… with HUGE legs??

Kdelso

Hatching
Apr 16, 2024
IMG_6785.jpeg
IMG_6811.jpeg
Hi! I have a 4 week old supposed Australorp pullet. She’s always been bigger than my BO’s and BR, but I also think she may have been hatched a day or two earlier than them. She has always had HUGE legs though, so wondering if that’s an early sign of roo, or if you see other signs pointing to an accidental roo??

I already have one “for sure” accidental roo out of my 4 chicks… really hoping that my Australorp ISN’T another one! Thanks!

I've got hens that have huge legs- black Australorps, I never really used that as an indicator, but at times it does hold true,

I'd say by six weeks you should be able to tell more. I have a couple photos/posts of my BAs at that age. It was easier to tell when I had a group of the same breed

Good luck!

Unless they pop wattles, I'm gonna say a pullet. Pullets can be bossy little buggers, unless with the presence of the other cockerels it's hiding it's true form?
*I looked at the pics again and still think pullet, fingers crossed lol

What color skin does it have if it's bigger, could it be a jersey giant? Although we have a BA that is as big as our Brahmas, and one as small as one of our eggers lol

Unless they pop wattles, I'm gonna say a pullet. Pullets can be bossy little buggers, unless with the presence of the other cockerels it's hiding it's true form?
*I looked at the pics again and still think pullet, fingers crossed lol

What color skin does it have if it's bigger, could it be a jersey giant? Although we have a BA that is as big as our Brahmas, and one as small as one of our eggers lol
I think pullet, too. Holds her head more like a hen than a roo. Not that it's fool proof, lol! Are her feet black or yellow underneath? In the 'palms'. I ask because last year i bought jersey giants from tsc and got all australorps. Not a fan of those. They're ok but...

Back
Top Bottom