4 Week old Chicks: WHAT DO I HAVE???

newchickenista

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Southeastern, Oklahoma
I ordered these from Estes Hatchery, they will be 4 weeks on Wednesday (Oct 21, 2015) I ordered Estes' 25 Rainbow Layer pack. I added a RIR Roo, a Barred Rock Roo, and a Production Red Hen to my order so I know at least I am supposed to have those, then they threw in an extra. So basically I have no idea. I want any and all opinions on both breed and gender because I have no idea on either. Some of these pictures are duplicates, because I only have 29 chicks, but you can't get 'em to set still, and I can't really tell them apart so much. The pictures aren't that great, I know but please, give me any opinion, right or wrong this will be fun I think!!

I have just assumed my reds where some mixture of rir, prod red, etc...but I did compare them to pics of speckled Sussex the same age and noticed similarities among a few of my reds. Wondered what anyone's opinions on this might be?

Also I wondered for a bit if I might have had a cuckoo Maran that could have snuck in mascarading as a barred rock.

Also for only expecting 2-4 roos, I am seeing an alarming number of bright red combs and wattles for 4 weeks old!

I have just assumed my reds where some mixture of rir, prod red, etc...but I did compare them to pics of speckled Sussex the same age and noticed similarities among a few of my reds. Wondered what anyone's opinions on this might be?

Also I wondered for a bit if I might have had a cuckoo Maran that could have snuck in mascarading as a barred rock.

Also for only expecting 2-4 roos, I am seeing an alarming number of bright red combs and wattles for 4 weeks old!

All of your Reds are showing yellow-ish legs, from what I can see. Sussex are more brown than red at this age, and have white legs.

Cuckoo Marans will have white legs, not yellow, and be darker than Barred Rocks. French Strain will have feathered legs. I can't see any obvious Marans among your birds.

The only suspicious combs I'm really seeing are #14 and #28. And maybe #34. But it's far too early to tell with any certainty.

can any one tell me what breeds are these 4 week out chicks!

Back
Top Bottom