4 week old quack sexing

MyGooseGrayson

Chirping
May 27, 2022
I feel like this is a common question but anyways...
I have five assorted ducklings that happened into my life. They're 4 weeks old now, and I've got some mixed vocalizations. I had read that they won't even start quacking until like 6 weeks, or that they might start at 3 weeks, or 4 months... lots of answers.

Black runner? duck: Began transitioning to quack at 2 weeks old. Now only quacks, no beeps ever. I'm fairly confident that she's a female.
Brown runner duck: Still peeps but the peeps have that morphing quality to them, kinda sound like little burps... some days sound quackier than others. First started about 10 days ago.
Cayuga duck: Mostly peeps, but occasionally has a fairly clear and low quack that is distinct but fairly quiet. Started about a week ago.
Call duck: Only peeps, but the loudest peeper of the bunch by far. Can alarm-beep with an impressive volume. Is the oldest by a day and amazingly feathered out!
White runner duck: Only peeps. I don't think I've got even the burpy sound from this one.

So does this sound like 3 hens, 2 drakes? Should I give the others more time to see what happens?

So each duck is different. I have had ones that change their voice really early and others that take much longer. Some females barely make any sound for weeks and you are just hoping to hear something to confirm. I have had drakes that peep their heads off when young.

I would have to hear the sound to confirm if it is a drake or not. The drakes you can barely hear when they finally change their voice. It sounds like to do have one female for sure. The quacking females are pretty obvious when you hear it.

4 boys and 1 girl!! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Still figuring out what our management is gonna look like since I don’t wanna let anyone go where they might be supper.
Oh I feel you
I have 5 drakes and only 11 girls
I did have 6 other drakes I was lucky enough to find great homes for
I do a drake area and a girls area and bring out certain boys at a time
Are you able to get her a few girlfriends then just do one drake a week type thing so the girl doesn’t get inured

Oh I feel you
I have 5 drakes and only 11 girls
I did have 6 other drakes I was lucky enough to find great homes for
I do a drake area and a girls area and bring out certain boys at a time
Are you able to get her a few girlfriends then just do one drake a week type thing so the girl doesn’t get inured
I brought four female muscovies home from the rescue I work at to help balance it out! I also have a run separated into two different areas so I can definitely do some rotating of the boys. I also have a goose in the flock who is quite good at breaking up disagreements, and I’m hoping she’ll help a bit as well. They’re all such sweet baby boys right now it’s hard to imagine them being vicious to poor miss Spinach!

I brought four female muscovies home from the rescue I work at to help balance it out! I also have a run separated into two different areas so I can definitely do some rotating of the boys. I also have a goose in the flock who is quite good at breaking up disagreements, and I’m hoping she’ll help a bit as well. They’re all such sweet baby boys right now it’s hard to imagine them being vicious to poor miss Spinach!
I thought that too but at about 6 months old my boys got a little more demanding
My mom duck seems to be the most popular and the boys chase her down so I have to be careful how many are out at the same time
Dad duck ( khaki Campbell) treats her like gold
If she says no he leaves her be
He also follows her all over and will drag the others off her if they do try
But he isn’t like that with other girls he also gets very demanding
My drakes Aren’t bad but hormones sometimes control them
When they aren’t trying to mate they are awesome drakes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom