Duckling sounds and their meanings

Pipisbf

Hatching
Mar 30, 2024
I just adopted a baby duck. It's only 16 days old and I don't know the gender.

I am wondering about its behavior. I don't understand a lot because I had never been in contact with a duck pet

So when I try to catch it and raise it. It looks scared. But the second day when I put it in my hug it stayed and almost fell asleep. It started making a sound of 2 little and silent "peep,peep" very often. At this time it wasnt making this sound. What does this sound mean?

It bites me sometimes like the way it eats. It hisses and then bites but other times bites while heart beat is relaxed. Is it playful or is it aggressive

It likes slim and dark places and likes to go in my warm shirt. Why is that?

When I am sitting with it in my arms it usually climps up my shirt and rests on my neck. Why is that?

I am very afraid that it's gonna grow up and it will not like me just because I don't understand the signs. Please I'm very worried. Should I pick it up and put it in my hug? Or let it be and whenever it wants come to me???

Can someone explain the physical and local behavior of ducklings? For example what tail winging means, what is a worried sound

And also what to do when hearing or watching some kind of behavior

The recording is the peep,peep it's doing

Attachments

• 023505e20a361543df68a0ceb2ec7d06bd6564ac7a362688def6b07e447b4606_optim.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I just adopted a baby duck. It's only 16 days old and I don't know the gender.
Just the one? How did you acquire it? What is your brooder setup like? Ducks are flock animals and do best with a friend, or multiple friends. Where do you plan on keeping it when its older?
So when I try to catch it and raise it. It looks scared. But the second day when I put it in my hug it stayed and almost fell asleep. It started making a sound of 2 little and silent "peep,peep" very often. At this time it wasnt making this sound. What does this sound mean?
Since they are a prey animal, chasing them around and picking them up without any warning can give them the feeling of being carried off by a predator. Once you've got them settled down either in your lap or arms and they feel safe, they'll calm down and may show signs of affection or tolerance. I'd guess the peeping is just chick chatter.
It bites me sometimes like the way it eats. It hisses and then bites but other times bites while heart beat is relaxed. Is it playful or is it aggressive
Sounds like normal ducky behavior. Ducklings love to nibble and will test anything to see if it's food.
Babies that are raised naturally will go underneath their mothers' feathers, where it is dark and warm, when they're cold or when they sleep. It's the same with your duckling. If it's cold or tired, it'll look for a warm, and bonus if it's dark, place to warm up and sleep.
When I am sitting with it in my arms it usually climps up my shirt and rests on my neck. Why is that?
Not entirely sure. Maybe he likes the view?
I am very afraid that it's gonna grow up and it will not like me just because I don't understand the signs. Please I'm very worried. Should I pick it up and put it in my hug? Or let it be and whenever it wants come to me???
I don't really coddle any of my birds and they like me, or maybe they just like me because I bring them food. I highly doubt it will stop liking you when it's an adult. It may be less cuddly and give you a little distance at times, but that's just part of growing up. Unless he is an only duck, then he'll consider you his flock and will want to be with you always, which to me does not seem healthy for a duck.
Can someone explain the physical and local behavior of ducklings? For example what tail winging means, what is a worried sound
Tail wagging can mean a few things, but usually it's a sign of excitement or contentment. He may wag his tail when he's happy to see you, he's enjoying whatever he's eating, or had a nice swim.

If he's scared it will be loud and frantic sounding.

Nothing came through. All videos need to be uploaded to a different site, such as YouTube, and then the link to the video posted here.

This is not what you asked, but please get your duckling a friend. Unless you plan to keep this duck with you 24 / 7 for the next 10 years, they will be so lonely and sad whenever you leave them. A duck friend will give them the constant companionship that they need.
So when I try to catch it and raise it. It looks scared. But the second day when I put it in my hug it stayed and almost fell asleep.
How are you approaching / holding the baby?
Likely playful. I don’t know what you mean by “hisses.”
Because that’s what mama duck provides; a small, dark, warm place to shelter and sleep. Ducklings can’t regulate their heat properly until they’re full grown.
The same as above; your neck is a warm corner to shelter and sleep. I’ve also found that my ducks like to be high up, for whatever reason.
Your baby sounds like they love you already. You can and should pick the baby up if you want them to get used to you. Your duckling may become a bit distant as an adult, but that is normal. My adult ducks don’t like being picked up or approached, but they’ll still run up to me for food and let me hang out with them.
Can someone explain the physical and local behavior of ducklings? For example what tail winging means, what is a worried sound.
Tail wagging, depending on context, is either a stress reliever or a sign of happiness. A “worried” sound for ducklings would be constant, loud peeping, aka their alarm sound.
Whenever I see or hear a new behavior, I’ll either 1. Study it on my own, look for context, see if there’s a pattern, or if it appears to be random, or I’ll 2. Look it up online, perhaps on here, and see if anyone else has observed the same thing. If I can’t figure it out on my own, or can’t find a post talking about it, that’s when I’ll 3. Ask about it on here, and show a video of the sound / behavior, if needed.
I’m not sure what you sent, but it’s not a recording of the “peep, peep.” You’ll need to resend.

Just the one? How did you acquire it? What is your brooder setup like? Ducks are flock animals and do best with a friend, or multiple friends. Where do you plan on keeping it when its older?

Since they are a prey animal, chasing them around and picking them up without any warning can give them the feeling of being carried off by a predator. Once you've got them settled down either in your lap or arms and they feel safe, they'll calm down and may show signs of affection or tolerance. I'd guess the peeping is just chick chatter.

Sounds like normal ducky behavior. Ducklings love to nibble and will test anything to see if it's food.

Babies that are raised naturally will go underneath their mothers' feathers, where it is dark and warm, when they're cold or when they sleep. It's the same with your duckling. If it's cold or tired, it'll look for a warm, and bonus if it's dark, place to warm up and sleep.

Not entirely sure. Maybe he likes the view?

I don't really coddle any of my birds and they like me, or maybe they just like me because I bring them food. I highly doubt it will stop liking you when it's an adult. It may be less cuddly and give you a little distance at times, but that's just part of growing up. Unless he is an only duck, then he'll consider you his flock and will want to be with you always, which to me does not seem healthy for a duck.

Tail wagging can mean a few things, but usually it's a sign of excitement or contentment. He may wag his tail when he's happy to see you, he's enjoying whatever he's eating, or had a nice swim.

If he's scared it will be loud and frantic sounding.

Nothing came through. All videos need to be uploaded to a different site, such as YouTube, and then the link to the video posted here.
Just one because I can't have time for another one
My set up is in a room in my house beside a room heater. I Ve put puppy diapers on the floor and a bowl with water and a bowl with duckling food (what the farmer gave us). Once a day I put it in warm water (37-39°C I think) and let it have it's fun.

I also have built a little outside space in my balcony with dry plants from the field outside my place, rocks so it reminds of natural place. I am planing on taking it to my yard to which has greens and strawberries,etc but always keep an eye on it cause of the predators.

In the future when the duckling will become a duck, I am planning on building a space in the yard with fences around and above, with a little pond for swimming and a house. Of course I am planning on taking it to green and other places but not too often if I see it doesn't like changes

Thanks for the info

This is not what you asked, but please get your duckling a friend. Unless you plan to keep this duck with you 24 / 7 for the next 10 years, they will be so lonely and sad whenever you leave them. A duck friend will give them the constant companionship that they need.

How are you approaching / holding the baby?

Likely playful. I don’t know what you mean by “hisses.”

Because that’s what mama duck provides; a small, dark, warm place to shelter and sleep. Ducklings can’t regulate their heat properly until they’re full grown.

The same as above; your neck is a warm corner to shelter and sleep. I’ve also found that my ducks like to be high up, for whatever reason.

Your baby sounds like they love you already. You can and should pick the baby up if you want them to get used to you. Your duckling may become a bit distant as an adult, but that is normal. My adult ducks don’t like being picked up or approached, but they’ll still run up to me for food and let me hang out with them.

Tail wagging, depending on context, is either a stress reliever or a sign of happiness. A “worried” sound for ducklings would be constant, loud peeping, aka their alarm sound.

Whenever I see or hear a new behavior, I’ll either 1. Study it on my own, look for context, see if there’s a pattern, or if it appears to be random, or I’ll 2. Look it up online, perhaps on here, and see if anyone else has observed the same thing. If I can’t figure it out on my own, or can’t find a post talking about it, that’s when I’ll 3. Ask about it on here, and show a video of the sound / behavior, if needed.

I’m not sure what you sent, but it’s not a recording of the “peep, peep.” You’ll need to resend.
I am planning on keeping this duck around me 24/7. As I said I can't have another one, don't have the time...

I approach the duckling like a stray dog. Go down to my knees and extend my arm. Keep it lower than it's head and slowly drag it toward it. Speaking softly,etc but it doesn't work the duckling goes scared whatever I do. But I think there was a huge progress from dya one to today (2nd day).

I usually pick it up very gently by puting my fingers beneath it and my thumb around it.

Thanks for the information

I can't have another one, don't have the time...
I know it’s been a few days, but I keep thinking about this message, because I don’t understand it. What do you mean, you “don’t have the time” for another? It takes less time to care for 2 than for 1. I only spend like, an hour a day with my ducks, because they find company within each other and don’t need me 24 / 7.

I know it’s been a few days, but I keep thinking about this message, because I don’t understand it. What do you mean, you “don’t have the time” for another? It takes less time to care for 2 than for 1. I only spend like, an hour a day with my ducks, because they find company within each other and don’t need me 24 / 7.
I am planning on keeping this duck around me 24/7. I already started to love him. We also found that he is a boy.
The thing is that I badly injured my legs and this time I will go to the hospital for surgery, and it is very difficult for me to clean up the place for him. Imagine 2 ducks and their "dirts". If something happens and can't keep him around me 24/7 I will adopt another duck. But when he'll be an adult only so I can built his own place in my yard. He is too little right now and it's too dangerous for him outside, my heart is always on agony.
I know it’s been a few days, but I keep thinking about this message, because I don’t understand it. What do you mean, you “don’t have the time” for another? It takes less time to care for 2 than for 1. I only spend like, an hour a day with my ducks, because they find company within each other and don’t need me 24 / ampl

Back
Top Bottom