4 white silkies!!!!! light question too

chickendude9

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Snohomish, WA.
just got 4 white silkies who are approx. 4 days old!!! now have a total of 8 chicks, but my regular chicks are in the garage. They are 17 days old (happy Easter) and i know they only require 18 hours of light now. But i feel that 8 less hours of heat will REALLY cool them down in that garage. right now they still have 24 hour heat. any suggestions?
P.S my heat bulb also supplies the light/

I leave my lamp on for all chicks 24/7 until they are 6-7 weeks old. They move out of the heat when they are hot. That way any chicks I add will be okay. I've never put nearly 3 week old chicks with new babies though. That might be too big an age gap. Watch them close.

just got 4 white silkies who are approx. 4 days old!!! now have a total of 8 chicks, but my regular chicks are in the garage. They are 17 days old (happy Easter) and i know they only require 18 hours of light now. But i feel that 8 less hours of heat will REALLY cool them down in that garage. right now they still have 24 hour heat. any suggestions?
P.S my heat bulb also supplies the light/
Light and heat requirements are two different things. 17 day old chicks, and especially 4 day old chicks, require a heat source where they can warm up as needed and going overnight without a way to warm up is not going to be good for them.

Back
Top Bottom