4 wk old standing funny, walking backwards

derbychick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Charlestown, IN
Our Partridge Rock (4-5 weeks old) has been acting strangely since last night (that's when I noticed, anyway). She is not walking normally... she is pecking at her breast feathers, keeping her head tucked to the point that she's walking backwards and running into things. When I first noticed it last night, I just thought she had an itch. Now she's in that stance all the time, and won't stand normally at all. I've posted some pics so you can see what I mean. I felt the crop of one of the normal chicks and it was like a small stone. When I felt hers, there was nothing at all. So I'm thinking it's not an impacted crop, and that she hasn't been eating. I haven't been home much today, so I haven't witnessed her eating or drinking. I'm going to be out watching her for a while now. [edited to note that she IS eating... I put food in a low bowl that she can reach, since she's not raising her head up... guess I'd better lower the water, too]

We just moved them out to the garage in a large dog crate, with straw for bedding. Any clues here? Any help would be welcome. She's feathering out so beautifully and is a sweet chicken... we need to figure out what's wrong so we can help her. We're new at this, so we have no ideas. Thanks!!

Andrea

IMG_1515.jpg

That's Wendy on the far right.

IMG_1523.jpg

She keeps backing herself into a corner.

Last edited:
hi i noticed that you have different size chicks in the same cage could be they hurt her neck some
how

Okay, after a lot of googling, I have determined that Wendy has crookneck and that I need to get her on polyvisol and aviacharge. She is no better this morning but is still eating, drinking, and eliminating, so I have hope!

I already have polyvisol WITH IRON in my medicine cabinet. Can I give her this, or will the iron harm her? Please post if you know the answer to this one--I'd rather not buy some if what I already have will be acceptable, but I will if necessary. It is not cheap!

Getting ready for church now and will get some supplies to start medicating her this afternoon. Thanks!!!!

Andrea
PS - Thanks for your response, jmantoo. I suppose it's possible this could be due to some kind of injury. She's one of the bigger 2 chicks, but maybe she bumped her head, or got shoved too hard into the side of the box while snuggling??

IMO--iron is iron. Good luck. My friend had a chicken who had "limp neck" and bit of laxative and good as new! I hope the same goes for your chick.

Back
Top Bottom