-40°

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
I posted about preparing for the cold asking a few questions, but this cold front hit way colder than I realized! Real feel is -40°... I have plastic tarp around their run and they're tiny little Coop has lots of hay...what else can I do for them?! ♥️

I posted about preparing for the cold asking a few questions, but this cold front hit way colder than I realized! Real feel is -40°... I have plastic tarp around their run and they're tiny little Coop has lots of hay...what else can I do for them?! ♥️

If they're out of the wind the "real feel" doesn't count, only the actual temperature counts. :)

Just remember they are birds. Nature has given them insulation, just like sparrows, cardinals, all wild birds. And yours are living in shelter. They'll be okay unless they get wet. So be sure they have plenty of ventilation so condensation doesn't happen, and they'll be fine. Now, be sure to take care of YOU in these brutal temps. Don't have exposed skin for more than a few minutes or there's danger of frostbite! Take care!

I posted about preparing for the cold asking a few questions, but this cold front hit way colder than I realized! Real feel is -40°... I have plastic tarp around their run and they're tiny little Coop has lots of hay...what else can I do for them?! ♥
No matter how cold it gets , DO NOT use a heat lamp. You will risk loosing your coop, your chickens , and possibly part of your house . The #1 cause of coop fires are heat lamps . Chickens peck at whatever is holding it up, and the lamp comes crashing down.
Off of Amazon , get some foil backed bubble wrap. It is great! You can also use a few pieces of styrofoam packaging that has been wrapped with duct tape ( so the chickens won’t peck at it), and put those on the ground, or fit them into the nesting boxes. Make sure you leave an opening for the chickens to get into it.

When you check on them, check first frozen feet. It's real easy. Just pick the birdnup and gently see if all their toes can bend. If they cannot, you'll have to place them somewhere warm (either under a heat lamp with space to move away, or inside where it's warmer). You'll have to watch to be sure their feet thaw and don't start to die.

Hey! How are you and your girls doing?
Oh my goodness, so kind of you to ask! They're doing great! Huddled in the coop only going into the run when I check on them and their water. Yesterday was rough as I don't have a water warmer so I was out there every hour changing their ice for water.. today was much better as the water didn't freeze but I still went out there quite a bit.. and each day it'll get slightly warmer. The hardest part of this winter storm is behind us ♥️

Oh my goodness, so kind of you to ask! They're doing great! Huddled in the coop only going into the run when I check on them and their water. Yesterday was rough as I don't have a water warmer so I was out there every hour changing their ice for water.. today was much better as the water didn't freeze but I still went out there quite a bit.. and each day it'll get slightly warmer. The hardest part of this winter storm is behind us ♥️
Wonderful news!!!

Back
Top Bottom