45 week old ameraucana not laying

On closer inspection - The egg that I think is from the non-laying chicken is shorter - fatter and darker in color than ALL the other eggs I have - so I do think she has started to lay BUT both eggs were in the COOP and my other Hen almost NEVER lays in the coop with the exception of the couple of times I've been late getting them out in the morning - so there is still a question mark regarding timing and my lack of through COOP inspection every night. SO - This Morning I blocked the coop door so if there is any laying activity it will hopefully be in the nesting boxes. My gosh this is turning into a saga.........

That is entirely possible .....
big_smile.png

On closer inspection - The egg that I think is from the non-laying chicken is shorter - fatter and darker in color than ALL the other eggs I have - so I do think she has started to lay BUT both eggs were in the COOP and my other Hen almost NEVER lays in the coop with the exception of the couple of times I've been late getting them out in the morning - so there is still a question mark regarding timing and my lack of through COOP inspection every night. SO - This Morning I blocked the coop door so if there is any laying activity it will hopefully be in the nesting boxes. My gosh this is turning into a saga.........
If you're free ranging.......it's hard to say who is laying what.
It might be a good idea to keep them cooped up for a few days to a week.
To see who is laying and habituate them to laying in the coop nests.

My Nesting Boxes are across the chicken yard - there is no way to lock them in the coop with the boxes for several reasons. The Old Gal lays in the same box 99% of the time...... and I have seen them in the box together more than once......

No eggs yesterday at all...... I'm betting I get two eggs in the nesting box today! That is MY plan we shall see what the girls do..... :)

HAPPY FRIDAY everybody!!!!

Back
Top Bottom