48 hour old duckling yolk issue

Aleah913

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Please help! I have a cayuga duckling that's almost 48 hours old hatched completely on its own, still has yolk sac....it was the last egg to hatch, the other ducklings are in the coop with mom. I put the duckling in the coop for a couple hours with mom and siblings today only because it was so alone, it's eating, drinking, swimming, and walking perfectly fine (it's a little slower than the other ducklings only because of a 2 almost 3 day age difference) the duckling did fine with the others accept when I checked its yolk sac it didn't seem to shrink at all and was dirty, brought the little one in and cleaned it up really good, it's in the brooder now, but I'm not sure what to do about the yolk sac I'm terrified of infection, but also nervous to mess with it or try to remove it. Any ideas on what to do? I thought about antibiotic ointment (pain releaver free) but figured I would wait and ask you guys.

Attachments

• 20220810_211519.jpg
    20220810_211519.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220810_211521.jpg
    20220810_211521.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220810_211542.jpg
    20220810_211542.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220810_211544.jpg
    20220810_211544.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 7
Please help! I have a cayuga duckling that's almost 48 hours old hatched completely on its own, still has yolk sac....it was the last egg to hatch, the other ducklings are in the coop with mom. I put the duckling in the coop for a couple hours with mom and siblings today only because it was so alone, it's eating, drinking, swimming, and walking perfectly fine (it's a little slower than the other ducklings only because of a 2 almost 3 day age difference) the duckling did fine with the others accept when I checked its yolk sac it didn't seem to shrink at all and was dirty, brought the little one in and cleaned it up really good, it's in the brooder now, but I'm not sure what to do about the yolk sac I'm terrified of infection, but also nervous to mess with it or try to remove it. Any ideas on what to do? I thought about antibiotic ointment (pain releaver free) but figured I would wait and ask you guys.
Definitely looks like the yolk isnt done absorbing-
please do not allow the duckling to be with mama/siblings or to swim until the yolk is gone. The others could peck at it causing it to rupture, and the water can introduce bacteria/keep it from drying. Right now, it could become infected, so the goal is to keep it as dry and clean as possible.

Do you have an incubator or heat lamp? Ideally you should take a cup, line it with dry clean paper towels so its nice and comfy, and put the baby inside- then place the cup in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed.

Don't try to remove the yolk, as it really needs to be absorbed/dry up. It does look like it has started to, but the 48 hours is concerning. What brand is the antibiotic ointment? Could you get a photo of it?

I have my fingers crossed for your little one :fl

Back
Top Bottom