4H Show Chicken

Just found this post and glad I did! I have two boys who want to join 4-H, and I'm considering letting them show chickens. I have to add, I'm with you, chick_girl.... I'm going to be 40 this year, but I grew up in 4-H (with horses), and I seriously CRIED when it was my last year because I was "too old." It was the best time of my growing up and still have a lot of fond memories! So when the boys showed interest, I am jumping on that! My son (almost 12) is a black belt in karate. He was in karate from the age of 5, until about 8-9 months ago. He just finally got burnt out, a little bored with it, once he got to black belt. I was fine with that, although I would like him to be involved in something.... boy scouts wasn't it because of "the goofy uniforms," (his wording), and with all the animals we have, 4-H just seems like the logical choice! The other boy is my son's 12 year old friend, who's partially grown up here since he was in diapers.

Angie

I too was in 4-H with horses from age 9 to 18 and FFA with pigs. Loved it :) My question is where does one find shows 4-H or otherwise, and how does one find a reputable show breeder? I have looked online and hatcheries keep popping up....

I too was in 4-H with horses from age 9 to 18 and FFA with pigs. Loved it :) My question is where does one find shows 4-H or otherwise, and how does one find a reputable show breeder? I have looked online and hatcheries keep popping up....
I have been a 4-H member for over 20 years, first as a camper then as a leader. My county has never had poultry shows (just pigs, cows, goats and sheep)so My daughter has decided to initiate it. We contacted the county extension office and they should be able to tell you where shows are even in surrounding counties. Luckily, our High School had constructed a new FFA barn and there is still plenty of room to add poultry to our annual show in October. So far we have been to 2 meetings and it is looking good for allowing us to have our first poulty showing in 2015.

You might want to check out the "what ya got to swap" page. I have swapped some jams and jellies for hatching eggs from show quailty parents.(silkies and FBCM) Also check out the forum for your area. A lot of people love 4-H and will give you a great discount if they know you are going to use the bird as a 4-H project.

Can someone give me information on 4-h??

I would like to know if they have a class that you can show a mixed breed chicken in??
It is my understanding that you can show a mixed breed chicken in showmanship.

My 3 boys are joining 4-H this year. We went to our first meeting last week and have already been in contact with the leader for that project. We are picking up a used coop/run tonight and will spend the next few weeks cleaning and fixing it up before we get our new feathered friends! I'm not sure who is more excited, me or my 3 sons! :D

Back
Top Bottom