4x4 pens

Jp617

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
4x4 pens i use for brooding and easy to move around keeping them on grass.

12 or 14 gauge wire
2x3 or 2x4s will work

Cut 2 at 48inches
Cut 2 more at 45inches this will make a perfect 4ftx4ft square.

2 more 4ft pieces for the sides and a piece across for the roost pole. 44-45 inch across depending on your tape measure reading and cutting abilities 😆

3inch wood screws to tie it all together

I set my roost pole at 16 inches off the ground. Again measure distance from side to side for length of roost pole

Cut wire at
2 4ftx4ft pieces
1 10ftx4xft For the dome top.
Hog rings are used to connect the sides and top. Fence Staples to nail the wire to your frame.

10ft x4 ft
3 mil black plastic or tar paper for the top.
I use plastic and zip ties because I cover and uncover birds depending on weather and time of the year.

you can use treated wood for prolonged life of the coop or cheap pine and get a few years of use.

Im sure this has been posted before but I just made 9 of these on Saturday 😅😆 move very easy and lightweight

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_200400_297.jpg
    IMG_20210122_200400_297.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
How do you open them for feeding and watering?

You should make an article with detailed construction photos and enter it into the current article contest. :)
I just have some spots cut out for the water and feed trays. My game birds get 3/4cup each day per bird. And access is simple. I lift one end up and get one bird at a time. Doors would be great but coyotes are a problem here and its much more structural and safe without a door on a hinge. I wish I had more time to post detailed article with photos. Work has me 3rd shift as of lately. Im surprised im awake ⏰ 😳

I just have some spots cut out for the water and feed trays. My game birds get 3/4cup each day per bird. And access is simple. I lift one end up and get one bird at a time. Doors would be great but coyotes are a problem here and its much more structural and safe without a door on a hinge. I wish I had more time to post detailed article with photos. Work has me 3rd shift as of lately. Im surprised im awake ⏰ 😳
They look like great little temporary pens -- something I might want to make when I'm selecting breeders or putting aside birds to sell.

Cut out a section for the feed/water trays. I feed an water my birds by hand everyday to make sure water is fresh and feed is the correct amount.

Attachments

• 20210209_155356.jpg
    20210209_155356.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210209_155403.jpg
    20210209_155403.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 14
They look like great little temporary pens -- something I might want to make when I'm selecting breeders or putting aside birds to sell.
Absolutely work well when pairing or breeding. Then the rooster is removed and the hen can decide to raise chick's or lay them to be collected

Also very easy to keep clean. You can slide the pen to the left or right. Rake out the area an put down new bedding. I clean mine once a Week sometimes twice if we get a ton of rain

Back
Top Bottom