$5,000 !! Seriously!?!

I agree. Negotiate with doctors and shop around. Also, you can sometimes buy a "discount" plan online that can reduce the cost of your work through certain dentists: http://www.dentalplans.com/

And
this may seem counterintuitive, but one alternative to Canada is Mexico. It's farther from you, but there are cheap flights/hotels all the time, especially off season. In larger cities with upscale populations, they have good dentists and they are at least 1/5 the cost of the US or Canada. Even with the trip costs, you may come out far ahead of $5000 and get a nice vacation for recuperation along with it. Just do your research ahead and locate a good Dr. Take copies of your records with you.

Not sure about Europe as a great dental destination... seems not a priority there.

Last edited:
I had a crown done a few years ago and then it was around $4000. Last year it came out when I was munching on homemade caramel
droolin.gif
he.gif
. I thought I put it in a safe place, but still can't find it, and it's from the left side where you can tell when I smile....there's a tooth missing....
sad.png
I know how you feel. But now I want to fix it and it will cost me more for a replacement I'm sure.

At least you don't have to pay twice for it.
hmm.png
Shop around and get a good price, and be careful don't lose it!

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Thanks guys.

The dentist recommended an implant over a bridge because the teeth are ok on either side and we know that somewhere down the road I will need my whole front teeth set to be replaced. SO this was supposed to be an anchor for future work.

I am probably going to go with the bridge idea, but ti does seem a shame to have to file down the two teeth on either side because replacing three teeth is somehow cheaper than putting in one.

Don't get me wrong. I know the implant is surgery with all of the inherent complications. But, it takes half an hour. It was just SO much more than I was expecting. Sorry Canadians! I wish your dental was covered for you.

SIGH>

OK, here's another thought from someone who has an implant. It does not take half an hour and if they told you that, you need a new dental surgeon for SURE. More like half a year. They have to drill for the implant, put it in, let that heal over, test it, recut your gum to test fit the thing that sticks up that the fake tooth will go on (forgot what that's called), install that post (?) and let that heal with the temporary on top. Then wait on the real, permanent crown and then that's installed. You can have a lot of that done by your regular dentist and some will have to be done by a dental surgeon, even if they do regular dental work, too, they have to be certified. They will tell you that it can all be done in X amount of weeks, but counting myself, I know 3 people with them personally, and it took MONTHS, not weeks because they want to give plenty of time for it to heal and set really well before they do anything that will allow you to put pressure on it.

The dental surgeon I used (in NM at the time) allowed me to pay as I went. So I paid for the jaw implant when it was put in. During the healing time we saved up and sold stuff and then I paid for the post setting when it was time (and I had the money) for that part. On and on. He gave me a discount because I had it all done at his office AND because I paid cash for it, albeit in installments.

Call around and ask about discounts and paying as you go. The worst they can do is say no. I've had mine for six years now. It's a back chewing tooth, gets tons of pressure on it and use, obviously, and I haven't had any trouble out of it.

Good luck!
hugs.gif

When my daughter needed braces, the first orthodontist said she needed 4 teeth pulled and have a palate separator implanted for several months. I was LIVID!
somad.gif
Got a second opinion, she got her braces and no teeth had to be pulled and she didn't need a palate separator. Insurance didn't cover braces, and when we found out it would cost $7,000, we couldn't pay for them, but her gramma did. When I had mine, it only cost $2000.

It really is sad that it costs insane amounts of money to have a nice healthy smile. But yet if you were in jail, you'd get the work done at the expense of the tax payers.

What I am learning from you guys and researching this more is that the price really depends on location!!!

And the prices vary to such a degree! And when one says it costs $399 it is only foe one tiny step of the whole process..... I know the whole process will take months, I meant the essential surgery takes half an hour.

I got another recommendation from my sister and she said she thought this guy would help me out since they were friends for years. Turns out my husband was the photographer for his military retirement ceremony! Small world isn't it?? So hopefully he'll help me out.

I'll let you know what he says!

Search your area... some areas have dental clinics for the less fortunate. Some are nearly free, some are free. Sometimes a church can help you too....

I know the system is flawed. I go four bills from four visits to the ER (all warrented... car wreck, weedeatting and metal flew into my arm, sick as a dog, ect) all four visits.... I got pain pills (which I never took because they make me feel worse, like I want to vomit) and told I'd be alright. I STILL HAVE THE RE-BAR IN MY ARM!Then they send me these bills totalling around $2000 and they never did a darn thing for me!
This last time I was sick for two weeks, nasty stuff. Everyone said, "goto the doctor" and I just replied, "Why? I still have the pain pills from before... and Lord knows I don't need a 5th bill from them"

I'm sorry. Check out the local charities that could point you in the right direction.

Saw you're in PA, and a few people have already posted this suggestion: a dental school. Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, OH has a dental school that does work on non-students. Sounds like it would be worth the drive for you!

Back
Top Bottom