Drunk walk now just laying and wobbly

islandfarmer9

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2023
My chicken all of a sudden started drunk walking and so we brought her inside and two days later she has not moved, isn’t eating, or drinking. I thought it could be signs of Marek’s disease but it’s all happening so quickly. do the symptoms usually take affect like this, one day fine the next not? Or am I missing something? What should I do?

My chicken is about to be five so she’s also pretty old to develop the disease and all my other chickens seem to be fine.

I’ve been giving her yolk and water but no luck on the eating part.

I would concentrate on getting her to drink some fluids with electrolytes or sugar water, then switch to plain water. Hold it up to her beak in a small cup or tuna can, and dip her beak if needed. Offer foods that will encourage her to sample, such as moistened feed, scrambled egg bits, tuna or canned cat food. Mareks usually shows up in young chickens, so I would consider dehydration or being kept from food, injury, or infection as possible causes. She also could have eaten something moldy or toxic in the yard. Let us know how she is a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom