paolatinorum

Hatching
Sep 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

One of my hen is not walking for a couple days. She’s alert, she’s eating and drinking and still bullies the younger chicks who come close to her. She stopped to walk overnight, without a limping phase or whatnot, I don’t know if she was hiding some symptoms so not to look weak. My first thought was Bumblefoot, and actually she has a swollen foot pad that looks a lot like a bumblefoot which I’m treating with Epsom Salt, bandage and drawing salve, but reading some stuff online now I have some doubt and I thought I'd ask the forum in order to rule out or confirm some option:
  1. Could it be (God forbid) Marek’s Disease? She is an adult hen and from what I read Marek is rare on adult hens, besides I bought her from an animal farm so I think they gave her all the necessary vaccinations (but I’m not sure).
  2. Could it be Curled Toe Paralysis? Actually her toes are slightly curled.
  3. Or could it be a simple injury: the fact that she’s stopped walking overnight and not presenting any other alarming symtoms encourages me to think so.
I repeat: she’s alert, she doesn’t have ruffled feather nor laboured breathing, she’s eating and drinking regularly, she’s even laying eggs so if she wants she can reach the laying box in some way.

My hope is to rule out Marek’s Disease, for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately I haven’t a poultry vet near me so I ask to this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

[Sorry for my English, I’m Italian and I’m sure I’ve done some grammar error writing this]

It could definitely be an injury… if you pick her up and put her down standing, can she stand or does she try to take the weight off one leg?

We had a hen with a leg injury who didn’t walk properly for a long time. We made her a separate area during her recovery, ensuring she had water, food and a nesting box all close by, and she did recover (she always had a subtle limp when running).

It could definitely be an injury… if you pick her up and put her down standing, can she stand or does she try to take the weight off one leg?

We had a hen with a leg injury who didn’t walk properly for a long time. We made her a separate area during her recovery, ensuring she had water, food and a nesting box all close by, and she did recover (she always had a subtle limp when running).
If I pick her up she stand on its feet, but as soon as she tries to walk she shifts the weight to a leg and fall down. Also she seems to stand/walk on her toes, so maybe there's also a problem with the foot pads (which have swollen cists I'm treating w/ Epsom Salt and are deflating).

Can you share some photos of her feet and legs? ☺️
Oh, yes, I was just doing it.
This morning she managed to take three or four step before falling.

IMG_2828.jpg
IMG_2829.jpg
IMG_2830.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg

That looks a lot like bumblefoot. It really needs to be treated. You can do surgery yourself, or have a vet do it. I’m lacking in avian vets, so I learned to do it myself.
I know. I haven’t a poultry vet near me, so for now I’m treating her with Epsom Salt, PRID and antimicrobial cream, the pads have deflated a lot, I’m gently scratching them with my nails and some of the pus has already come out.
Meanwhile, she stands, she walks more or less properly, she just seems to tiptoeing. I think it was bumblefoot plus an injury of some sort.

I 've seen how to do the surgery and I’ll proceed as soon as I feel ready.
If you have some advice, I would appreciate.

I know. I haven’t a poultry vet near me, so for now I’m treating her with Epsom Salt, PRID and antimicrobial cream, the pads have deflated a lot, I’m gently scratching them with my nails and some of the pus has already come out.
Meanwhile, she stands, she walks more or less properly, she just seems to tiptoeing. I think it was bumblefoot plus an injury of some sort.

I 've seen how to do the surgery and I’ll proceed as soon as I feel ready.
If you have some advice, I would appreciate.
So, I have my daughter help me with the surgeries. We are both not squeamish.
I completely understand the hesitancy to do the surgery. Do you have someone who can help you? Especially if they are more comfortable. I will say that the birds don’t feel pain when cutting it out unless you hit live tissue. That made it a lot easier for me to attempt. Also, if you start to cut it out and there is a lot of blood, put pressure on the wound until it stops. I’ve had some birds that look like terrible bumblefoot, but the infection was really superficial. It sounds like you’re at a good start for your comfort level. I would probably do soaks and scraping twice a day to keep on top of the infection.

if you go ahead with the surgery, this is how I do it:

First we soak in epsom salts for 10 -15 min. Then I have her wrap the bird in a towel. I use lidocaine cream. I know some don’t do this, but I find that it makes them more comfortable when I hit live tissue. I then use a scalpel (you can use an exact type knife, too). I cut around the dead tissue and use tweezers to pull out the plug. I often find there are other “strings” of infection that goes into the foot. I do my best to pull those out as well. It is important to get as much of the infection out as possible. I then fill the hole in the foot with neosporin (antibiotic ointment). I’m not sure of the comparable brand in Italy. Then we use either a pool noddle (that is cut into a 1/2 inch think slice) ( Pool Noodle, FixFind 5 Pack of 52 Inch Hollow Foam Pool Swim Noodle, Bright Foam Noodles for Swimming, Floating and Craft Projects https://a.co/d/aJMVz3Q) or use corn pads ( Comfort Zone Corn Cushions, Self-Stick Adhesive Cushions to Pad and Reduce Pressure from Corns, 18 Count https://a.co/d/3MaDA8h). Next, I wrap it in gauze and use duct tape to secure it and cover the gauze so it doesn’t get dirty. If you use a pool noodle, you need to put it on both feet so it doesn’t create problems in the other foot. I then change the bandages every other day, adding antibiotic ointment until it heals.

Back
Top Bottom