5 Chickens, 4 breeds, Boy or girl?

Hugz21

Chirping
May 5, 2019
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I have 5 chickens and can't tell if I've got boys or girls. Thoughts?
1. Magenta. New Hampshire. 8 weeks old.
upload_2019-5-8_9-37-31.png

2. Amethyst. Buff Orpington. 6 weeks old
upload_2019-5-8_9-38-49.png

3. Indigo. Australorp. 6 weeks old
upload_2019-5-8_9-40-14.png

4. Violet. Australorp. 6 weeks (sorry for the not-great picture. The little poop machine is camera shy!)
upload_2019-5-8_9-43-43.png

5. Lilac. Silver Lacewing Wyandotte. 6 weeks (my teeny dot)
upload_2019-5-8_9-45-51.png

What makes you think that? I'm trying to learn so maybe I can figure it out myself with future birds
For these specific birds it is comb & wattle development (specifically color) relative to reported age. Pullets at 6 & 8 weeks will have small, pale, flesh toned combs/wattles. At these ages feathering is non gender differentiated with regards to saddle/hackle feathering, so that is not a characteristic to use. Age is a key part of which characteristics to look at...as is breed, many breeds (not just sex linked hybrids) have very different color patterns depending on gender....so they are sexable at hatch or when feathering of certain body areas comes in around 2-3 weeks

What makes you think that? I'm trying to learn so maybe I can figure it out myself with future birds

I have found it helpful to study these types of posts when trying to learn. Read the posts and look at the pictures and see what the members here say. Start trying to identify the characteristics that they are talking about when looking at the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom