5 Degrees Out and Geese Laying Eggs, need advise

WyoSabel22

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
I have 3 Embden geese, less than a year old, 1-gander and 2-geese. They did not get the memo that winter is NOT the season to lay eggs. For the last month now they've been laying eggs on average 2 per day no matter what. It's full-bore winter hear in Wyoming with 6"+ snow on ground and single digit temps at night and we have more eggs than we can eat. When I can't make it out to the coup or geese won't let me into the coup ( defending the nest ) the eggs may be frozen when I finally get to them.
How do I explain to my girls that their timing is way off?
I'm also concerned about their health. They need all of their energy just to survive.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20221120_112349.jpg
    20221120_112349.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 16
I have 3 Embden geese, less than a year old, 1-gander and 2-geese. They did not get the memo that winter is NOT the season to lay eggs. For the last month now they've been laying eggs on average 2 per day no matter what. It's full-bore winter hear in Wyoming with 6"+ snow on ground and single digit temps at night and we have more eggs than we can eat. When I can't make it out to the coup or geese won't let me into the coup ( defending the nest ) the eggs may be frozen when I finally get to them.
How do I explain to my girls that their timing is way off?
I'm also concerned about their health. They need all of their energy just to survive.
Thanks for the help.
Some birds are troopers and just lay eggs all winter regardless. Have you considered selling some eggs? I have 6 female ducks and most of them lay all winter with an occasional day off.

Not to worry. I'm in Park City, Utah and not uncommon for the occasional goose to lay during winter, especially young production breeds. I have at least 3 girls firing up the boys right now, so I know they will be laying very soon, if not started already. I also have a few ducks and chickens starting to lay now. Your girls will likely continue cycling every few months throughout the upcoming year, unless they hatch and raise babies. I just ignore frozen eggs. They tend to get quickly eaten by my birds and wildlife. If they are inside secure coup, then I'd toss them outside.

FYI I feed a mix of mazuri, flockraiser and whole corn (which is extra good during super cold weather). I also offer them horse grass hay. So long as they have a dry place out of wind for shelter and fresh water, they should do just fine.

Finally.... I leave crushed oyster shell piles in feeding area for girls to free choice calcium.

Ditto, inland NW, below freezing for weeks, 6+ inches snow/ice high today is 2, my 1 year old Pilgrim has just bonded/mated with 8 month old gander ... and now she just started laying. My 3 year olds usually start laying by early Feb (when it's still below feezing here).

I would probably not let them incubate yet unless you've got the facilities to confine/ manage mom, babies, and gander at hatch time? I'm definitely not going to until Feb.

Attachments

• 20221209_082133.jpg
    20221209_082133.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 5
I discovered I have at least three girls that started laying in the last week, as evidenced by the newly made nests and frozen eggs in my barn. So far it is my production breeds, but I'll have to start keeping a look out for my buff dewlaps, since I plan to set eggs this spring.

Back
Top Bottom