Advice on breed choice for small flock and egg laying longevity

BikesnBeer

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Southern PA
Hello! I'm purchasing 4-6 chicks soon to start my flock, and I'd love some suggestions on what breeds meet my requirements. I'm not new to raising chickens but it's been awhile since we've had any. I'm in South Central PA, where we have hot and humid summers, large temperature swings in winter and spring and an average mid-Atlantic winter. Winters can see temps in the teens in February, and sometimes single digits, like last night but not usually for extended periods. We usually have a few snowstorms, with occasional big ones of 1-2 ft. Although this winter has just been wet and warm.

I am new to raising chickens within town limits. We used to live in a more rural area where we weren't regulated. Although we are zoned rural and agricultural, have nearly 1 acre of property surrounded by woods on 2 sides, our township loves regulations, and we can't have any "livestock" unless we own at least 5 acres. Chickens are considered livestock. However, they just recently made an exemption for a small number of hens for residents with less than 5 acres of property.

Here's what I'm looking for in my flock:
  • A variety of egg colors - I'm a sucker for different colors, except white eggs. Brown eggs hide the dirt better!
  • Docile breeds that don't need a lot of space - we're not allowed to free range but they would have an outdoor run
  • Easy to find locally - TSC, etc
  • Fairly quiet
  • Longevity in egg laying - I have a history of running a "retirement home" for old hens that no longer lay. :rolleyes: Believe it or not, I had a RIR that lived to be 12 years old! I couldn't bring myself to dispatch of her, eat her, or let her be eaten. I am only allowed to have a certain number of hens where I live, and I need them for the eggs. So I can't be feeding and housing a bunch of old ladies who won't be earning their keep in 2 years. I know this sounds harsh, but what do you sentimental types (like me!) do with hens that no longer lay when you have a limit on allowable numbers? I am hoping that nature might take care of this naturally and I can add to the flock over the next few years to have continuous laying....
I should add that I want at least 1 Buff Orpington. They look so fluffy and pretty! I'm a sucker for pretty chickens too.

Thanks for any advice you have!

We're in South Jersey and over the years it's always been any kind of Rock, RIRs. Starting in again we opted for Blk Australorp. I just like big solid body, single comb one color birds. No losses ever to heat or cold and good layers through winter. Of course this is my bias handed down from my grandmother. I could easily be nudged to some Orpingtons.

Wyandottes are cold hardy with their small combs, and although aren’t super cuddly, are not aggressive and are so pretty! Australorps would also fit your wishes. If there’s no issue with noise and neighbors, my personal favorite is Welsummer for dark eggs. Ours is cuddly and a hoot! But she’s the loudest of any of them. Finally, my Sussex is the nosiest (not noisiest) yet sweetest chicken. She’s a cute little busybody! If you want blue eggs, Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers are never aggressive in my experience, and if handled from a young age can be pretty friendly.

If you want a range of birds, I would suggest maybe ordering from Mt Healthy. You can order as low as 3 for something like $35 which is a great shipping rate for such a small number of chicks, and you can get one of each breed. They have come highly recommended by friends for friendly birds.

Last edited:
How about Easter Eggers, French Marans, Australorps, Plymouth Rocks (they come in several colors!); I liked our buff Rocks way better than the buff Orphingtons we had.
Buckeyes are good too. And Speckles Sussex are beautiful and very interactive.
Longevity is hard, no matter who your bring home. Chickens just aren't bred with that as part of the plan.
Some hatcheries do have small orders available, so do look, rather than going with the possibly small selection at your feed store.
And look fast! We ordered recently, and the selections available were limited.
Mary

Some hatcheries do have small orders available, so do look, rather than going with the possibly small selection at your feed store.

Cackle does have a three chick minimum order now too. We've been getting their chicks, very nice birds!

I like Ideal for small orders. I think their fees are the most reasonable.

One option is to get twice as many chicks as you want, choose the ones you like best, and sell the rest as started pullets.

The heriitage breeds do tend to have better longevity than the "egg machine" high-production breeds and to keep laying longer in life.
For docile temperament, cold-hardiness, and good winter laying, I recommend Australorps. The black ones are also good looking, with glossy irridecent feathers and bright red combs. The Buff Orpingtons you mentioned are a different color but otherwise similar.
Easter eggers (called "Ameraucanas", although I think the ones Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio sells may not be true Ameraucanas) lay blue and green eggs and are good winter layers and good overall producers. They do tend to be a little more skittish and maybe somewhat more aggressive than the gentle and docile Aussies and Orpingtons.
Plymouth Rocks and Wyandottes are also good winter layers and somewhat docile.
Wiith one of each of the above, you would have a very varied-colored flock of all pretty birds!
Winter laying is an important factor for the home chicken keeper.

Here is a good chicken breed reference chart.

To complete my own flock, I would myself like one of a breed that 1. lays *dark* brown eggs 2. lays well in winter and 3. is generally winter-hardy. A docile temperament would be a plus also. Does anyone know of a breed that fits the bill?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom