How soon will quail lay after my chckens start laying??

Maka

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
Hey I wasn’t sure where to put this little question so I’m sorry if it’s not in the right place. But I was wondering how soon your quail lay after your chickens start (if you have both)

My chickens just started laying here and there. Some are some are not but I just wanted to know what that timeline looks like!

I also noticed some of my hens laying I. The dirt and covering up the eggs with the dirt. How do I stop them from doing this?

Hey I wasn’t sure where to put this little question so I’m sorry if it’s not in the right place. But I was wondering how soon your quail lay after your chickens start (if you have both)

My chickens just started laying here and there. Some are some are not but I just wanted to know what that timeline looks like!

I also noticed some of my hens laying I. The dirt and covering up the eggs with the dirt. How do I stop them from doing this?
What type of Quail do you have?

Ime, Coturnix Quail usually start laying around 6-8 weeks old.
Other Varieties, I don't know a lot about.

Depending on the breeds of chickens you have, you may see some start to come into lay as early as 16 weeks, but often it's 23 weeks on up. Again, it mainly depends on breed + sunlight/time of year, how healthy they are, etc. etc.

Do you have photos your coop/inside, the nesting area? Fake eggs in nesting boxes may help pullets learn to lay in the boxes. Sometimes they will find a more private area, like a dark corner, etc. While it's ideal for pullets and hens to lay in "designated" areas us humans want them to, it doesn't always work out that way.

What type of Quail do you have?

Ime, Coturnix Quail usually start laying around 6-8 weeks old.
Other Varieties, I don't know a lot about.

Depending on the breeds of chickens you have, you may see some start to come into lay as early as 16 weeks, but often it's 23 weeks on up. Again, it mainly depends on breed + sunlight/time of year, how healthy they are, etc. etc.

Do you have photos your coop/inside, the nesting area? Fake eggs in nesting boxes may help pullets learn to lay in the boxes. Sometimes they will find a more private area, like a dark corner, etc. While it's ideal for pullets and hens to lay in "designated" areas us humans want them to, it doesn't always work out that way.
I had the quail last year but this is their first winter I have had them and I don’t do the fake lighting to stimulate laying, I do natural light so I was just curious how far off the laying would be vs my chickens when it comes to natural light induced laying.

I recently changed thier habitat but they live in my greenhouse and they have a gravel floor with plenty of food and water. They have little trees to hide in in the green house and some other little hits things like that.

A lot depends on age, time of year, daylight, etc.
Most of my Quail hens have come back into lay by now, but the weather has been mild and somewhat sunny.

Same with chickens, age, time of year, daylight, diet, etc. Each bird is an individual.

A lot depends on age, time of year, daylight, etc.
Most of my Quail hens have come back into lay by now, but the weather has been mild and somewhat sunny.

Same with chickens, age, time of year, daylight, diet, etc. Each bird is an individual.
Okay so I found that they are laying a couple weeks after my chickens start! So very similar time lines.

Back
Top Bottom