Advice on breed choice for small flock and egg laying longevity

What did you end up with? I had the same concerns. I got 3 different colors of Orpingtons and an Easter egger. Not much variety of egg colors from the Orpingtons, but they’re such pretty birds. They’re only 4 weeks old, but the buff Orpington has gotten so sweet and friendly.

I can add 2 more and I’m already plotting. I think I want one more Easter egger, I had 2 but one looks like a cockerel. And I’m torn between a black austrolorp and a speckled Sussex for the other. The black austrolorps look perfect because they’re less broody than orpingtons and lay more eggs, but still friendly. My plan is to order double of what I want so I can make sure I get enough pullets and cherry pick the friendliest ones, I feel a bit burned by my accidental cockerel.

I will say, my Easter eggers are so much more flighty and active even as chicks than the Orpingtons. Which is fun in a way because they have so much personality, but I wouldn’t want a flock full in my suburban lot. Hoping for some colored eggs though, and it’s really fun to watch the feathers come in. I knew what the Orpingtons would look like, so the unpredictability of the Easter eggers is fun.

What did you end up with? I had the same concerns. I got 3 different colors of Orpingtons and an Easter egger. Not much variety of egg colors from the Orpingtons, but they’re such pretty birds. They’re only 4 weeks old, but the buff Orpington has gotten so sweet and friendly.

I can add 2 more and I’m already plotting. I think I want one more Easter egger, I had 2 but one looks like a cockerel. And I’m torn between a black austrolorp and a speckled Sussex for the other. The black austrolorps look perfect because they’re less broody than orpingtons and lay more eggs, but still friendly. My plan is to order double of what I want so I can make sure I get enough pullets and cherry pick the friendliest ones, I feel a bit burned by my accidental cockerel.

I will say, my Easter eggers are so much more flighty and active even as chicks than the Orpingtons. Which is fun in a way because they have so much personality, but I wouldn’t want a flock full in my suburban lot. Hoping for some colored eggs though, and it’s really fun to watch the feathers come in. I knew what the Orpingtons would look like, so the unpredictability of the Easter eggers is fun.
My speckled Sussex is the sweetest girl…

1687978609586.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom