5 ducks killed, no signs of a struggle

GretelC

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Southern California
2 of the ducks looked like they were asleep with their heads tucked into their wings. No visible injuries. The third had her entrails coming out her backend. 2 are missing with a few organs lying around but no bodies or feathers. I am completely perplexed. Could the 2 have died of fright? I am in California and have a few small tears in the chicken wire from squirrel damage. Please help if you have ideas.

2 of the ducks looked like they were asleep with their heads tucked into their wings. No visible injuries. The third had her entrails coming out her backend. 2 are missing with a few organs lying around but no bodies or feathers. I am completely perplexed. Could the 2 have died of fright? I am in California and have a few small tears in the chicken wire from squirrel damage. Please help if you have ideas.
This sounds like a type of weasel to me. They can fit through a hole as small as an inch and hunt for sport, the nasty little things. The weasel would have killed the one with the entrails, and another predator, maybe a large bird or a fox/coyote. The other two sound like they fainted of fright and just didn't get back up.
I'm sorry you lost them and I hope none of the others die from grief.

Sincerely,
Silkies4Days

Whatever it was, will likely be back. If you still have surviving birds you need to make sure they are secure. If you have or can borrow a game camera, set it up so you can try to ID whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom