5 months and still no eggs

Ames Haven Farm

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2018
Florida
2 5 month old Barred Rocks, ones comb is turning red and the other not even a little bit. I'm in Florida so it's still very hot here. Have on artificial light at night and am giving a little calf manna with feed. The legs are turning from a yellow to a whitish...but no squatting yet. Do they look about ready? Or even close? I'm getting impatient and I know I shouldn't lol.
IMG_20181010_095134.jpg
IMG_20181010_095159.jpg

As Tom Petty said, "W-a-a-i-i-t-i-n-g is the hardest part".

Mine were 6mo and then some before they started. Plus you're getting into the short day part of the year. So, alas!, you'll just have to be patient.

The good news is that when you get your first egg it's exciting and exhilarating. You'll want to throw a party. So hang in there! It will happen when your hens are ready.

Chickens, even those hatched on the same day from eggs laid by the same hen, mature at different rates just like people. One of my last 4 BRs started laying a full month before the last of the 4 started laying. You'll just need to be patient waiting for them to start laying.

But do you see how different they look? One's comb is real red and the other is still pink with no signs of red

Listen! I'm no expert. I just discovered that one of my "hens" is a rooster at 14 weeks when it would have been apparent to someone who knew what they were looking at 2 months ago. The thing I had failed to see was that his comb was well-developed and very red at 6 weeks old. For my guy (a Black Copper Marans) there were more clues in the shape and color of the feathers but that didn't start appearing until 14 weeks when I asked for opinions from the more experienced folks around here.

You might look at some pix of BR roosters and see if you see any similarities. And I found this as well. I hope it's helpful.

Back
Top Bottom