How much calcium citrate?

Laylahege

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
Georgia
I have a 6 month old barred rock who is dropping soft eggs at night while perched. Some days she still lays a small hard shell egg or even a double yoke. She has free choice oyster and egg shell and free ranges, but I wanted to supplement her calcium in hopes of regulating her system. I have a couple different sizes of calcium citrate. Does anyone know the measurement for a chicken? Also, any other tips on correcting the issue? Obviously she is young and will probably self regulate, but I've also lost a hen with similar issues to being eggbound and want to avoid that again.
She is on 16% layer and in a flock of 10 with free ranging daily.
Thanks ya'll!
Also, probably not related, but her comb flops down. I've never had a barred rock with a floppy comb and her sister from the same batch is normal. I'm worried it's a sign of illness. It's still bright red however.

What "sizes" are do you have?

I'd aim for 300mg Calcium Citrate with D3 for 3-5 days.
The Calcium Citrate is usually given in a crisis, but it can be used to help regulate softies.

If she's not been laying very long, then she may be still trying to get into the routine of things.

Do you have photos of her?

Also, it would be a good idea to just look her over for lice/mites and if possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms might be part of the problem. Parasites can affect production, while probably not in a pullet her age, it's good to rule them out.

The Calcium Citrate is usually given in a crisis, but it can be used to help regulate softies.

If she's not been laying very long, then she may be still trying to get into the routine of things.

Also, it would be a good idea to just look her over for lice/mites and if possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms might be part of the problem. Parasites can affect production, while probably not in a pullet her age, it's good to rule them out.
I have 600mg and 1000mg.
No parasites, they were just checked over and given probiotics... poop is normal. I'm assuming it will eventually even out, but the amount of eggs she's producing is crazy, even though they're half soft shell and I'm worried she will become eggbound.
I can get some photos of her tomorrow but here's a few video screenshots. She is a bit thicker than my other barred rocks, almost built like my australorp

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323-232512_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323-232512_Video Player.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240323-232040_Android System.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323-232040_Android System.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 4
You can break the higher mg tablets in half if you want to reduce the dosage, or just using the 600mg should be fine, others on this site use that dosage. If supplementing calcium helps, then once she's regularly laying good quality eggs you can start easing back (like 1 pill every other day) until you find what dosage works well for her, with the possibility of weaning her off completely if she regulates herself over time.

You can break the higher mg tablets in half if you want to reduce the dosage, or just using the 600mg should be fine, others on this site use that dosage. If supplementing calcium helps, then once she's regularly laying good quality eggs you can start easing back (like 1 pill every other day) until you find what dosage works well for her, with the possibility of weaning her off completely if she regulates herself over time.
Agreed.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Attachments

• 20240324_180049.jpg
    20240324_180049.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240324_180045.jpg
    20240324_180045.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom