Long-term Calcium Citrate Use?

I have an idea. Perhaps this little gal is having an issue with absorption. Vitamin D is important for absorption and so is magnesium, but magnesium isn't very often added to feed. If you're feeding layer feed, look on the sew tag and see how much D3 and magnesium is in it.

If it's lower than 36mg magnesium, try giving her about that much each day as a supplement. Same with the D3, pop a 25mcg D3 oil cap into her each day for the next month and see what happens.

Then make sure she has easy access to oyster shell. If the additional D3 and magnesium doesn't improve her shells, then probably nothing will.
Thank you for suggesting this- I also will be doing this in addition to my regimen.

Quick question: I had been feeding her the supplements but she just started molting (and hasn't laid any eggs in a week). Should I stop giving her the extras until she starts laying again?

She started this last summer. I was really praying that after molting she would somehow revert back to normal but she laid a lash egg once she stopped molting. He treats her for egg yolk periontitis/ saplinitis. She gets a sulpha antibiotic for 14 days and Calcium Glubionate syringe dose daily. We see her eating the oyster shells. One thing I'm going to ad is we started giving her Oregano oil daily while on an antibiotic and now every other day and so far she has laid 4 beautiful blue eggs and no lash eggs. She is a sweet hen and yes this is time consuming with daily dosing. I only have 3 hens and they are all very friendly so it makes it much easier.
What is the dosage of oregano oil?

Back
Top Bottom