Long-term Calcium Citrate Use?

I was under the impression from elsewhere on the forum that the dosage (although probably for a single use) was 500-600mg, so I figured she would get slightly less with it being dissolved in water and not drinking the entire thing. Would it be only one pill then, 315mg?
I think the dosage you've used is what gets recommended for an egg bound hen.

I think the dosage you've used is what gets recommended for an egg bound hen.
Give one pill. This dosing issue came up recently when a member pointed out to us that we were confusing the label dosage recommendation with the actual amount of calcium in a single tablet. In the US, it's legally permitted to state that the calcium amount in a dosage right on the front label is actually twice as much as a single table contains. The amount in a single tablet is located in the finest print buried deep in the back label.

So now we instruct that one tablet be given from a bottle that states 630mg on the front label. Here is the thread where we tried to make some sense of this issue and get back on the same page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-in-each-tablet-and-how-much-to-give.1606610/

Unfortunately, misleading labeling in the US is perfectly okay, and the consumer has all of the responsibility to figure it out.
Shoot, I feel terrible to be giving the wrong amount then!
This is the label on mine
20240115_091554.jpg

Should I trust the amount of mg that it states for 2 caplets?

Either way, I'll only feed one to her.

Shoot, I feel terrible to be giving the wrong amount then!
This is the label on mine
View attachment 3726351
Should I trust the amount of mg that it states for 2 caplets?

Either way, I'll only feed one to her.
What you need to decide is whether you are looking for a long term solution for a hen that isn't getting enough calcium from her diet for whatever reason, or she needs a short term boost to address a temporary problem. Calcium citrate is the better option for a short term problem, but for a hen that isn't getting enough calcium in general, I would be looking at calcium carbonate. In my experience regular shell less eggs are symptoms of other problems unrelated to calcium intake.

@Shadrach has stated something very important, and I want to stress that there are different forms of calcium, and they work differently as well as containing different amounts of actual calcium.

Calcium citrate has half the calcium as calcium carbonate, but the citrate works twice as fast. Due to these different properties, the citrate form is what we want to use in an emergency because of its speed in absorption. The carbonate has much higher calcium content so it's what we want to give regularly to keep calcium levels at optimum levels in our laying hens.

What you need to decide is whether you are looking for a long term solution for a hen that isn't getting enough calcium from her diet for whatever reason, or she needs a short term boost to address a temporary problem. Calcium citrate is the better option for a short term problem, but for a hen that isn't getting enough calcium in general, I would be looking at calcium carbonate. In my experience regular shell less eggs are symptoms of other problems unrelated to calcium intake.
@Shadrach has stated something very important, and I want to stress that there are different forms of calcium, and they work differently as well as containing different amounts of actual calcium.

Calcium citrate has half the calcium as calcium carbonate, but the citrate works twice as fast. Due to these different properties, the citrate form is what we want to use in an emergency because of its speed in absorption. The carbonate has much higher calcium content so it's what we want to give regularly to keep calcium levels at optimum levels in our laying hens.
Okay thank you both, I understand what you're saying.

What would be the dosage for the carbonate?
That would probably be better to use instead if she is not eating or receiving enough calcium.

Okay thank you both, I understand what you're saying.

What would be the dosage for the carbonate?
That would probably be better to use instead if she is not eating or receiving enough calcium.
Is she eating her normal amount of layers pellets?
What is the percentage of calcium in the pellets?
If not, what is she eating?

The best way to give calcium carbonate is by free choice from oyster shell always being provided. This way, a hen will respond to her inner craving for calcium by eating as much of the oyster shell as she needs.

Another thing to keep in mind about oyster shell is to inspect the supply regularly and replace it when it becomes fine and powdery. Since calcium carbonate is absorbed slowly, the larger particles of oyster shell will remain longer in the intestines, giving it time to be absorbed by the hen's body.

If you feel your hen is suffering from a calcium deficiency, then you may give calcium tablets. But calcium at such a concentrated strength should not be given longer than two weeks.

The best way to give calcium carbonate is by free choice from oyster shell always being provided. This way, a hen will respond to her inner craving for calcium by eating as much of the oyster shell as she needs.

Another thing to keep in mind about oyster shell is to inspect the supply regularly and replace it when it becomes fine and powdery. Since calcium carbonate is absorbed slowly, the larger particles of oyster shell will remain longer in the intestines, giving it time to be absorbed by the hen's body.

If you feel your hen is suffering from a calcium deficiency, then you may give calcium tablets. But calcium at such a concentrated strength should not be given longer than two weeks.
Okay thank you for the info

Is she eating her normal amount of layers pellets?
What is the percentage of calcium in the pellets?
If not, what is she eating?
Yes, she eats a good amount of her layer feed crumbles every day. It's 3.3% min to 4.3% max calcium according to the label

Okay thank you for the info

Yes, she eats a good amount of her layer feed crumbles every day. It's 3.3% min to 4.3% max calcium according to the label
I would give her an extra gram of calcium carbonate daily for a week. See if that makes any difference.
Laying hens can tolerate quite high levels of calcium. What they don't use to make an egg they can store in Medullary bones in their body which they can draw on when supplied or foraged calcium is in short supply.

Back
Top Bottom