5 toed 2 months what breed

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
My 2 month old roo has five toes and I'm not sure what breed he is he has a small top hat white skin no feathers on feet so he's not a silkie he looks like a cross breed he is barred in collor I don't have any pics of him but will get some today

Last edited:
I'd say Silkie cross. The feathering/dark color on the legs/face doesn't always come through. Sometimes the toes don't either...lol.
I have the variety of Silkie crosses.

These are Silkie/OEGB crosses (the 2 black barred in the background.) The brown in the second photo is also a Silkie cross, same breeding.
It has light skin and light legs...lol.

These two brown pullets are Silkie crosses.

Babygirl is a Silkie cross I hatched. She doesn't exhibit the feet feathers or color, but can pass the feet feathering to her chicks.
She has green legs, not sure of the cross, possibly EE.

He's a Silkie cross. He might be Babygirl's father.
idunno.gif

I just found out the white splash EE hen must be a Silkie cross. She has jet black skin
ep.gif
and one of the hens have been giving a feathered leg baby.
I just checked her three sisters tonight and one other has the black skin. I had bought them as chicks, but the lady did have Silkies...lol.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

Last edited:
OK so you guys say silkie might be that's what I'm hoping for with the top hat and five toes not all silkie crosses have white skin but color and slow maturing like barred rock

Silkie crosses are very unpredictable. Even with the same two parent birds. You can get black skin, white skin, four toes, five toes, crested, non-crested, feather legged, non-feather legged, silkie feathers, smooth feathers, large mature birds, small mature birds in the same batch of chicks. I'd say by just going by the pictures your probably right. Parentage is likely a silkie/barred rock cross.

Since reading your thread I've not only been thinking about what you have,
but I've been researching what I've got and I came across some information last night that may assist you with your roo.

Here's a thread I looked up this morning that discussed some of the five toed breeds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/462216/five-toed-breeds

As far as the barring on your guy, it may not be a barred rock cross.
I "think" Barred rocks grow at a pretty decent rate.

The black barred bantams in my pics above are a cross between buff/partridge silkies and crele/silver duckwing OEGBs.
This cross grows slowly and will stay a smaller size.

Back
Top Bottom