5 week old bantams, pullets or cockerels?

poppycock1974

Songster
Mar 2, 2015
Jacksonville FL
I have one Cochin, one OEGB and two sebrights in question.

I'm really new to this whole bantam thing, so I can only offer you guesses. Looking at your sebrights the comb makes me think female. Their feather pattern is more well-defined than mine though, which maybe points to male? Or just better breeding. None of your chicks screams roo to me.

I'm curious about your two OEGBs. I've got two 4 week old white bantam chicks with super long legs and well-developed wing feathers from a very young age that I would love to know if they are OEGB, bantam white leghorns, or something else. Does that description match your chicks at all?

I'm really new to this whole bantam thing, so I can only offer you guesses. Looking at your sebrights the comb makes me think female. Their feather pattern is more well-defined than mine though, which maybe points to male? Or just better breeding. None of your chicks screams roo to me. I'm curious about your two OEGBs. I've got two 4 week old white bantam chicks with super long legs and well-developed wing feathers from a very young age that I would love to know if they are OEGB, bantam white leghorns, or something else. Does that description match your chicks at all?
This is my first time with bantys and no previous knowledge with the smaller ones. I actually only have one OEGB it's just two different angles. It feathered very fast and has skinny legs but I don't know much about them. I have an OEG standard but she's a rescue and was about 12 weeks when we first got her.

I got them from a Tractor supply store supposedly at 4 days old. They already had clearly visible wing feathers. But it is also quite possible that the person was wrong about their age.

Mine was a day old and already started feathering. I hear females feather faster than males but I don't know if that is in every breed or just certain breeds or maybe genetics

Back
Top Bottom