5 Week Old Barred Rock - Pullet or Cockerel?

I'd so love to have this problem, having birds of such high quality! I drool over the Barred Rock thread, they're soo pretty, those roosters with those long feathers.

Someday................

It really was strange, with my first batch of true heritage Barred Rocks, trying to sex them the regular way I did my hatchery and few-generations-removed-from hatchery stock for years. The head spot thing didn't really work well. Some pullets seemed lighter than I was used to, some cockerels were darker-appearing than I was used to. In the end, with my Stukel line Rocks, the leg color was the best indicator at one point.

You may have a lighter than normal pullet or a cockerel with more dark on his legs than usual, but hard to really say. Below is what we're used to seeing in pullets, colorwise, of course-this is my almost 12 week old Dru, out of Stukel lines. Her legs were stocky for awhile, very unlady-like.

Years ago, I had a very light-colored pullet that everyone, even the BYC experts, said was a cockerel, but she became the mother of many chicks and died a few months ago at the age of 5. She had everyone fooled with her huge head spot, light coloring and lighter legs- she was a hatchery hen. Sexing is not 100% foolproof with the BRs and even harder with heritage stock.

It really was strange, with my first batch of true heritage Barred Rocks, trying to sex them the regular way I did my hatchery and few-generations-removed-from hatchery stock for years. The head spot thing didn't really work well. Some pullets seemed lighter than I was used to, some cockerels were darker-appearing than I was used to. In the end, with my Stukel line Rocks, the leg color was the best indicator at one point. You may have a lighter than normal pullet or a cockerel with more dark on his legs than usual, but hard to really say. Below is what we're used to seeing in pullets, colorwise, of course-this is my almost 12 week old Dru, out of Stukel lines. Her legs were stocky for awhile, very unlady-like. Years ago, I had a very light-colored pullet that everyone, even the BYC experts, said was a cockerel, but she became the mother of many chicks and died a few months ago at the age of 5. She had everyone fooled with her huge head spot, light coloring and lighter legs- she was a hatchery hen. Sexing is not 100% foolproof with the BRs and even harder with heritage stock.
Thank you for the info Speckledhen! Appreciate it. I keep going back and forth.. The comb is pink.. It scares me.. I just don't want to keep two barred rock cocks, so I would have to get rid of him (who is so much nicer than my full grown boy) but I've grown attached.. and my older boy is very good in temperament. Unfortunately he has too high of a tail, and he is not from the long feathering line as these chicks are.. But would I really want to keep a male from the same parents as the females I want to breed him to? We do not have the long feathering line here in New Brunswick. I had to drive 4 hours to get them.
_MG_8364.jpg
7 weeks old
_MG_8365.jpg
_MG_8368.jpg
_MG_8381.jpg
_MG_8543.jpg
_MG_8539.jpg
The one here is an obvious boy. Very light barring - no dark wash (or little) - and big red comb/wattles
_MG_8545.jpg
You can see my roo's colouring here - boy right beside him and the one in question in the back. She/he is darker than the obvious boys.. A comb this red at 7 weeks - is that a for sure cockerel?

This one here - I thought was a boy for sure
_MG_8541.jpg
It has very little of a comb, but seems to be lighter in colouring. It was not this hard with regular barred rocks lol
_MG_8389.jpg
_MG_8390.jpg
I have two that I'm certain are girls:
_MG_8370.jpg
Both look the same.

You may just have to wait it out awhile, I'm afraid. That one it a bit confusing, for sure. I'd start parting the back feathers soon to look for those first-appearing skinny, pointy saddle feathers coming in. If you see them, the deal is sealed. If they come in rounded, you have your pullet, just a lighter than normal one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom