5 Week Old Barred Rock - Pullet or Cockerel?

Just an update.. Turned out to be a boy. Should have known! He is gorgeous though! Especially for only 13 weeks old!
_MG_1748.jpg
_MG_1237.jpg
_MG_1234.jpg
_MG_1570.jpg
Here is one of the girls :p

I thought I might reply to this post instead of starting another thread in hopes that I might get an answer from people talking BR :) I never even considered that lil Kim was a BR until I saw your pics! I thought I was getting EE and it turns out I got a LH, RIR and maybe a BR. I did get one EE but he turned out to be a roo... So, is this a BR pullet?

Alright y'all- I have the sweetest 4 week old barred rock (or maybe cuckoo maran?) but am unsure of the sex. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi. Very nice! This roo picture is 5 weeks old? I have a few and this will help me figure out what I have!! Thanks again

Could someone help to decide with my chick? I have two Barred Rock from a friend that was ordered thru TS. They were ordered as Straight Run, but the box from the hatchery they came from was labeled as pullets. My friend also tried to sex all of them and thinks they were all pullets. Our darkest one (Onyx)we are pretty sure is a pullet, we just can't tell with our lighter one (Mary- Ann). They are 5 weeks old. The front of the legs were pretty well the same, though Mary Ann's have lightened more, but she also has a much more developed and darker comb. I've read conflicting things about this, so figured I would try the expertise of fellow BR owners.
IMG_1466.JPG These are the girls when we got them, 6 days old. The upper left is our dark girl Onyx, then to her right is my chick in question, Mary Ann. The three little reds are our RIRs.
IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1526.JPG The second photo, the sun was shining on Mary Ann's legs so they look lighter than they are.

Last edited:
Alright y'all- I have the sweetest 4 week old barred rock (or maybe cuckoo maran?) but am unsure of the sex. What do you think?

Foot color leads me to believe this is a marans. I had both BR and CM chicks and the BR legs were colored similar to the marans but look at the bottom of their feet. both my BR and CM had whitish legs with a dark wash down the front but the BR had yellowish color on the bottom of the feet, marans stayed white. As they get older the yellow comes out and covers feet and legs!

Back
Top Bottom