5 week old chicks not enough space!

They don't have a momma hen. And they're too big for her anyways.
Hate to ask, but did something happen to her?

Carport should be fine with some bedding on the floor. If they're standard size birds with normal feathering they'd probably be old enough or close to old enough to be without heat but if they haven't been acclimated (i.e. you had them indoors) you'll need to work on that first.

I used heat lamps years ago but use black ceramic heat emitters now.Be sure you use the correct type of light fixture for heat lamps (porcelain only not metal) Too much heat can melt the metal type or cause overheating. Mount the light fixture securely so the chicks can walk under it without touching the bulb. The chicks are old enough to roost at night.If not they'll huddle under the light a week or two.Chicks will wean themselves off the heat when they are ready.(rarely use it)

I used heat lamps years ago but use black ceramic heat emitters now.Be sure you use the correct type of light fixture for heat lamps (porcelain only not metal) Too much heat can melt the metal type or cause overheating. Mount the light fixture securely so the chicks can walk under it without touching the bulb. The chicks are old enough to roost at night.If not they'll huddle under the light a week or two.Chicks will wean themselves off the heat when they are ready.(rarely use it)
We like the ceramic bulb as well. No light from it so they appear to sleep better.
Radiant heat sounds intriguing

Back
Top Bottom