5 Week Old's Head Tucked into Belly, Walks Backward

heatherbeast

Songster
Mar 26, 2021
Atlanta, GA
So, one of my birds appeared this way this morning out of my set of 9. She is still interested in food, but disoriented and walks backward and will not hold her head up. I think it's neurological, but different than wry neck. I have raised 4 sets of chicks before, so I am comfortable that their diet is sufficient. Any ideas why her neck just.... Doesn't seem to work?
20210602_101818_HDR.jpg

Link to backward walking here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eygd5nUs4peMG2ks8

I haven't had this (Crook or Wry Neck) but I know of people that have treated with vitamins (E) and Selenium and I think an infant supplement. Worth a google search....

I wonder how she got it? Maybe an injury, they are at that rowdy stage, and she was very irritable when I examined the base of her skull. Wry neck treatment it is then, since I know how to do that...

I've read a vitamin deficiency. I've learned over time that some breeds...and some chicks...need more of one thing than another. So, even though you're doing a good job with food, water and supplements as needed, some need more. A bigger mistake is just over doing it. But in this case there's no way to really know between just us so I would try supplements and patience. Ah..patience. Someday I'll take that medicine....

Back
Top Bottom