50/50 girl/boy....REALLY????

Hanh3197

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Bay Area
I was just curious... when you raised your straight run chicks how many did you have and how many turned out to be pullets/cockerels???
Thanks

Here were my odds on sexed as pullets from a well known hatchery: Bought 6 and 2 were roos! Those were not the greatest odds!! I was bummed too because I loved the roos but we couldn't keep them in our city. : ( They did go to good forever homes though, so that is good. I was DYING to know what sex mine were right away too.
wink.png

Good luck!

At my local farm supply they say 90% chance hen, 10% rooster... but who knows!
cool.png

Quote:
And I bought sexed pullets and was hoping for 1 accidental roo and none. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're all pullets. Oh well. I should have ordered a couple of roos I guess.

I bought 15 BR chicks in the spring. They were supposed to be pullets. After a month I could tell they were abviously straight run.
somad.gif

7 have turned out to be cockerals! I would say thats pretty close to 50/50.
barnie.gif

I just hatched 5 of 6 fertile eggs under my broody and two are cockerels. I orderd 10 straight run and three are cockerels. I would say that my average is better than most but the 50/50 rule is typically the average. Off to the Chicken swap this weekend to see if anyone is interested in them
smile.png

~Julie

I would say it depends on your source....I don't think all are honest
I have gotten 75% cockerals, at least on my birds.
I think what I got should have been advertised as the "leftovers after we sex what we want out of the hatch"
hmm.png

I seem to have the worst luck with roos...
4 pullets... turned out to be pullets
2 straight run... both roos
6 bantam BO SR.... 4 roos
5 GLP SR.... 4 roos
6 silkies..... still to be determined

I am easily rehoming the silkie and polish roos, but noone wants a bantam BO...

Think I would rather spend the money with the 10% chance for roos. Sure beats my 67% and 80% chances so far.

I picked a few chicks from the straight run bin and they are all hens.
smile.png
. My sexed chicks are girls as well!

I'd say that I got more like 40% roos and 60% pullets from the hatchery. My hatched chicks appear to be running more like 60-75% roos, but they aren't as easy to tell apart as the hatchery chicks were, and they're younger. I'm still holding out hope that I'm wrong on some of them.

Back
Top Bottom