55 gallon drum nipple waterer

mtnpull

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Just thought I would take a minute to share with you all my project today.

So the setup is rather simple. I got a 55 gallon drum from a chocolate (candy) manufacturer that held corn syrup. It has a removable top so when winter rolls around I can put a livestock trough heater in it. We cleaned it out and drilled a hole in the bottom and installed a bulkhead fitting. and then piped it both inside the coop and outside the coop. I made sure to put a shut off valve so that I could turn off the outside coop water in the winter and wrap the pipe inside the coop with heat tape and insulation keeping it away from the wind. I also made it possible to drain both lines if needed to clean. When building the stand to hold the drum I made sure to enclose it so that I could insulate to keep it cool in the summer and from freezing in the winter. Lastly I connected a hose to the top 3/4" bung so that filling would be simple. Last thing I need to do is time how long it takes to fill so that I don't over fill it! Everything is together and working great. We will see how things go once winter rolls around.

Back
Top Bottom