5wk chick having trouble pooping, red swollen vent - help!

Wow, seems like a common issue with some chicks. I too am newbie to chicks, have one that I noticed yesterday was all fluffed up and just standing in the middle of the box doind what looked to me like pushing lol. I checked and sure enough, she was trying to poo. She got some out but continued to push so I concluded shes having trouble. All mine are only getting chick starter and water, pine bedding. No inflammation of the area as of yet and I didnt see anything abnormal otherwise. Poop looked normal (I have been pooed on enough times now lol) Im picking up grit and yogurt today.

Thanks

I completely understand. I love animals so much and my chickens are my family.I even love each and every one of my new chicks like family.I will pray for your little chick. Hopefully it is something easy to fix that maybe we overlooked. Please keep us posted as I'm curious what the doctor says. I'm thinking she may have some stool that's hardened further up inside her and hopefully he can give her a softener to pass it. I'm praying it's not serious!
Thank you, you are kind. I have an appointment this afternoon with the vet. I woke up early to check on my Prissy and she was alert, happy, and her vent looked good. Last night, I placed by hands around her and said a heart felt prayer for healing.

I will keep you updated. I want this lil gal to make it for many more years to come!

Wow, seems like a common issue with some chicks. I too am newbie to chicks, have one that I noticed yesterday was all fluffed up and just standing in the middle of the box doind what looked to me like pushing lol. I checked and sure enough, she was trying to poo. She got some out but continued to push so I concluded shes having trouble. All mine are only getting chick starter and water, pine bedding. No inflammation of the area as of yet and I didnt see anything abnormal otherwise. Poop looked normal (I have been pooed on enough times now lol) Im picking up grit and yogurt today.

Thanks
It seems like, if it's not something internal, than it's constipation. Those are my only 2 logical conclusions as a person with zero chickadee experience. Sounds like you are doing the right thing to me, especially with the yogurt. I've also given mine probiotic water to help her along. Also, maybe try a warm starter feed mash? That's what I've been doing to help her get some hydration while she eats.

Good luck to you! I hope your chickadee starts to feel better soon!

I've had same issue with my girl who is 3wks old. Large vent, cheeps loudly, closes her eyes while having a bowel movement. I use "Bag Balm" with qtip once a day, been giving all my chicks Sav-A-Chick Probiotic in water. Just started the probiotic 3 days ago. Seems to be helping. Less frequent straining from her. Still happens though. She is normal size, eats, drinks, etc. Larger than normal poops though. I just grabbed a clob of sand/ gravel from our property and put a lil hunk in a small bowl. Hoping this will help her. They only eat Chick medicated crumbles. I am thinking the grit may help with the digestion. Time will tell.

I've had same issue with my girl who is 3wks old. Large vent, cheeps loudly, closes her eyes while having a bowel movement. I use "Bag Balm" with qtip once a day, been giving all my chicks Sav-A-Chick Probiotic in water. Just started the probiotic 3 days ago. Seems to be helping. Less frequent straining from her. Still happens though. She is normal size, eats, drinks, etc. Larger than normal poops though. I just grabbed a clob of sand/ gravel from our property and put a lil hunk in a small bowl. Hoping this will help her. They only eat Chick medicated crumbles. I am thinking the grit may help with the digestion. Time will tell.

Yup, sounds exactly like my 3 week old Prissy. If the poop is still large, try molasses water. That's what I did to soften the poop, just put a little molasses in a small bowl, add water until it is a medium brown color, and give your chick a few drops every couple of hours. It really helps with the straining as well. I went through this for almost 2 weeks and my Prissy only started making progress about 2 days ago. I also kept her vent super clean and alternated between Preparation H and Coconut oil to reduce swelling and to help with any pain. Her vent is finally starting to look normal again. I was at a point where I thought I was going to lose Prissy, but I am thrilled to see her make a comeback.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply. My girl is doing great now. It seemed the combination of probiotic water and backyard grit seemed to help. She strains once and awhile but very rarely, but even then it only lasts like a second. She is very energetic.

I have 3 chicks (out of 27) whom are experiencing this 2 New Hampshire Reds and a Columbian Wyandotte....I soak them every other night in a warm bath for 10 minutes and give them molasses (I take a small spoonful and stir it into a little cup/bowl of water then dip their beaks into it a couple times each). I also apply preparation H to their vents....this has only been a temporary help for them so if anyone has found a pretty solid plan to help these little guys please share

I've got a little 4 week old silkie who's been having a similar problem for a few days now, and I've been watching in hopes of it improving . It seems more internal than external, since I see no "pasty butt" to speak of. I caught her eating shavings a few times, so my concern is that it may be constipation or an obstruction. There's grit in their feed, but I'm going to put out a separate bowl to see if that helps, and give her a little bath and Prep H.

I've got a little 4 week old silkie who's been having a similar problem for a few days now, and I've been watching in hopes of it improving . It seems more internal than external, since I see no "pasty butt" to speak of. I caught her eating shavings a few times, so my concern is that it may be constipation or an obstruction. There's grit in their feed, but I'm going to put out a separate bowl to see if that helps, and give her a little bath and Prep H.
I watched her a little today... she's doing this thing where she crouches her upper body and her butt sticks up more. Her vent is kind of pulsing and lightly seeping, and she's cheeping a lot at times. When I gave her a little bath, she had a little poop afterword that didn't seem irregular, but definitely small quantity. She's continuing to feather out, but she feels a little light a skinny. I've seen her eating, so not sure what to think other than wait and see if the Prep H and the extra grit help.

I have given this probotic to my chicks and hens for years now. This has 10 million colony forming units of different benifical bacteria. Many many more than yougart. I buy mine online by searching ProBios for poultry. Sometimes tractor supply carries the small bottle. I get the large bottles because they last a very long time. Any issue with going to the bathroom are cured up rather quickly when i use this product. This probotic is the best probotic ive ever used! I highly recommend this if your birds are having issues! This product is a must have. I use it on newly hatched chick's and it jump starts their system. I use it on my hens to keep their digestive system healthy and on track. The benifical bacteria can actually combat bad bacteria thats introduced to their systems. You might consider getting some for your birds. It will REALLY help. Make sure to get the kind for poultry as they have it for many different animals. It will really help your flock. Im sure you will love this product! I know i do.!

Back
Top Bottom