6-7 week old mourning dove juvenile with avian pox or trich?

mourningmocha

Hatching
Aug 19, 2023
Waiting for a response from the avian vet / rehabbers. A lot of places around me have a 1 month + wait; doesn't help that im from an area where it's uncommon to have pet birds and wild life rescues. My dad brought him to me after seeing his parent get attacked by a cat at the park. I've been taking care of him for 2 weeks now.

3 total lesions on his face all progressed about 5 days ago. Biggest one is on the left side and it was the first one I saw forming. Im worried because it’s right on the corner of his beak on both sides and I’m scared of it leeching down his throat and esophagus. He’s currently on LaFeber vitamins for all birds (about 100mg iodine per day along with Vit A and C) and I clean the lesions with 1:1 betadine and water avoiding eyes twice a day. He’s a mourning dove juvenile, about 6-7 weeks old and weighs 95 grams as of today. I just ordered metronidazole to treat for cankers since the lesions are so close to the inside of his beak. Other than itching and scartching, he eats well, drinks water, perches fine and seems active. Is this avian pox or trich?

Attachments

• 05.PNG
    05.PNG
    838.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 03.PNG
    03.PNG
    845 KB · Views: 12
  • 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    952.7 KB · Views: 10
Hello and welcome to BYC!

I moved your thread to our Emergency forums for more help. I am sorry your bird is having trouble! :hugs Hopefully someone here can help.

@dawg53

Most likely it's canker. Metronidazole will treat it. You'll have to figure out the dosage. The dove will be a carrier for life. There is no treatment for wet pox just for your information. Itching and scratching could possibly be external parasites. You will have to closely inspect her for lice/mites especially her vent. Molt is a possibility because it's young dove.

Back
Top Bottom