Cream colored lumps in beak, vet can't diagnose

lookatmyhen

Chirping
Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire, England
We have a gorgeous Faverolles hen, and a month ago I noticed a whitish lump inside her lower beak on the left, and she was occasionally shaking her head.

fn5sS52.jpg

We gave her Harkers 3 in 1 tablets, and for a few days she stopped shaking her head but within a week she'd started again.

We took her to the vet, and he scratched it away with his nail and gave us Mitronidazol to give her for 5 days in case it was trichomoniasis (AKA canker / frounce in pigeons). When we took her back for a checkup, the lump had grown back again, but now she has an identical one on the other side, totally symmetrical!

U7LJvdj.jpg

He sent us away with Hexarinse (which has chlorhexidine gluconate in it) to rub on the patches twice per day with a q-tip, but said he really had no idea what could be causing it. So far (5 days) the Hexarinse is not making a difference.

We recently lost another hen to a similar-ish disease which we tried everything for: treating it for candida, trichomoniasis, vitamin A deficiencies... That lovely little hen had yellowish stuff growing down her throat and filling up her palate and we'd have to remove it with manicuring tools every day. It was awful but we kept her alive a year longer than she would have lasted otherwise, and she was very happy too.

We kept that hen totally separate and had safety measures in place so she couldn't transfer the disease to our other chickens.

The vet thinks our Faverolles' lumps might be trichomoniasis but can't see any evidence under a microscope (it's notoriously hard to see). We've been giving her vitamin a supplements too, but no change. Her nostrils aren't blocked and she's acting as excited and happy as ever at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what this could be and how to cure it???

Attachments

• IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for your reply :)

I've not heard of either of those (we're in England, but your name looks like you might be too). Do you know where to get them from & how to treat her with them? I searched for Oxi 50 and didn't find anything, and there are a few places selling different types of denagard but they're pretty expensive and require a prescription for us to be allowed to buy them, so I'd need my vet to agree once I know what to ask for.

I'd say canker. If you treated her for it and it returned maybe do the same again but for a little longer. Have you tried oxi 50 and denagard?

Yes, that's the vet we use!
They're brilliant, but the vet who's an expert in chickens is off on maternity leave and has been for a few months. They have another vet who's quite knowledgable, but not in the same league as the one that's off with her new baby.
I'll give him a call and suggest the denegard. Do you know the active ingredient in oxi 50 so I can be sure I'm telling him the right one?
Thank you so much :)

Back
Top Bottom