Help! My hen has canker!

Rubi43

Hatching
Sep 19, 2023
I first noticed about 2 weeks ago my hen had like saliva hanging from her beak. I thought it was strange but after the 3rd day I started to worry so I was just inspecting her and happened to see inside her mouth and saw a yellow lump. At first I just thought it was food but the following day it was still there and so I started to do research online and apparently it’s canker. I bought metroplex on Amazon I believe it has metronidazole. It came in a powdered for so I’ve been given her 250mg once a day, today was the 5th day and I saw it can be give 5-7 days. I looked inside her mouth and it still looks the same. She is still eating normally but has a hard time swallowing b/c of the mucus/saliva. My question is, is the yellow lump going to fall off eventually or how does that work? Do I need to wait a while and do another round of medication? I try to change her water often and add apple cider vinegar and some thyme leaves.

I first noticed about 2 weeks ago my hen had like saliva hanging from her beak. I thought it was strange but after the 3rd day I started to worry so I was just inspecting her and happened to see inside her mouth and saw a yellow lump. At first I just thought it was food but the following day it was still there and so I started to do research online and apparently it’s canker. I bought metroplex on Amazon I believe it has metronidazole. It came in a powdered for so I’ve been given her 250mg once a day, today was the 5th day and I saw it can be give 5-7 days. I looked inside her mouth and it still looks the same. She is still eating normally but has a hard time swallowing b/c of the mucus/saliva. My question is, is the yellow lump going to fall off eventually or how does that work? Do I need to wait a while and do another round of medication? I try to change her water often and add apple cider vinegar and some thyme leaves.
I do not know so searched this site and found another post similar to yours. The replies on it might be helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canker-not-going-away.1598626/

Good luck!

Im sorry I do not have any information that can help. if there is someone that is a vet and has experience with chickens near by I would go talk to them. sorry I do not realy have any helpful information.

Does it have a rotten odor? Have you seen any fowl pox in your flock? Would anything show up in a picture?
Wait are Fowlpox and canker related?? I had dry Fowlpox running though my flock, then two of my chickens (who did not have Fowlpox) got canker. I lost one and I’m still treating the other one 🤞

Wait are Fowlpox and canker related?? I had dry Fowlpox running though my flock, then two of my chickens (who did not have Fowlpox) got canker. I lost one and I’m still treating the other one 🤞
They are not related, but the wet form of fowl pox causes yellow plaques inside the beak and throat, and can be more serious than dry pox. Did the chicken who had supposed canker, have a bad odor from their beaks? Canker is a disease carried by pigeons to other birds, and is spread through waterers and feeders. It has a rotten odor. Did you give anything for treatment? Sorry for your loss.

its been a while since I responded is your 3rd girl doing ok. and when we say canker are we talking about cancer

Back
Top Bottom