6 Little Chicks in TN

I hope the little ones improve under your diligent care. Sounds like they were in a rough spot.
I feel bad for the 2 chicks I gave her. I hope they make it.
sad.png

I sent her a text saying "The auricauna has some calluses on its feet that might be bumblefoot. The barred rock's feet are fine, but I thought you'd like to know so you can treat your other chicks if they need it. Thank you so much for switching with me! It's so nice to have my little flock all together!". I didn't receive a reply. She has 24 chicks. She works and goes to school so I know she's super busy and I think her chickens are more "livestock" than pets. I need to keep reminding myself that not everyone views them as members of the family.

On a lighter note, the EE is doing wonderfully this morning! It and the barred rock both drink from the poultry nipple just fine after watching the others. The EE isn't hindered by it's foot sores at all and everyone has been getting along well, for the most part. I think it will make a full recovery. :)

I sent her a text saying "The auricauna has some calluses on its feet that might be bumblefoot. The barred rock's feet are fine, but I thought you'd like to know so you can treat your other chicks if they need it. Thank you so much for switching with me! It's so nice to have my little flock all together!". I didn't receive a reply. She has 24 chicks. She works and goes to school so I know she's super busy and I think her chickens are more "livestock" than pets. I need to keep reminding myself that not everyone views them as members of the family.

On a lighter note, the EE is doing wonderfully this morning! It and the barred rock both drink from the poultry nipple just fine after watching the others. The EE isn't hindered by it's foot sores at all and everyone has been getting along well, for the most part. I think it will make a full recovery. :)
Glad the switch is working out for you and the chicks. That bumblefoot is strange on such a young chick. I looked it up in The Chicken Health Handbook and it says that it's caused by a staph infection/bacteria that "enters the foot through an injury caused by splinters, housing on wire or irritation due to improper littler management" It suggests Vitamin A supplements and you can rinse well with hydrogen peroxide, then put on Neoosporin. It goes onto say that you can then wrap the foot in gauze or clean cloth and tape it on. It says it's hard to get rid of as well.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

I don't use neosporin for anything since it's a petroleum product (and therefore a carcinogen) and an antibiotic, but I might try some coconut oil (it's naturally anti-bacterial) if it doesn't clear up. I'm really hoping it was just sores and not staph. Thank you for looking that up for me! :)

These birds are growing so fast! There are noticeable differences from one day to the next. I switched their feed from Hiland Naturals to Countryside Organics and I really think I can tell a difference. The feeder stays full longer and their isn't as much food on the brooder floor, for one thing. They don't pick through it as much trying to pick out their favorite pieces and it seems like they are getting more nutrients from it. Their feathers also look fuller and shinier.

The girls are so spunky it's getting hard to take pictures of them. I think this set of pictures really captures their personalities.

Betty the Barred Rock:​
1380839118.jpg

1380839160.jpg

Lucy the Buff Orpington:​
1380839235.jpg

1380839281.jpg

Mable the Eater Egger:​
1380839684.jpg

1380839743.jpg

Scarlett the Rhode Island Red:​
1380839823.jpg

1380839878.jpg