6 month old Buff Orpington with very warm and swollen wattles...

kycklingmamma

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
My slice of Heaven on Earth...
..and some weezing too.
Her wattles look like balloons and are very warm to the touch. She weezed when I picked her up and her mouth seems goopy, like the saliva (if they have that..lol) is thick.

I know it might sound weird but if you have any clue please let me know.
My flock just moved her with us from our old home/coop. here they are free ranging in the woods/ pasture and have been for a few days, they seem to love it..do you think she got bit by something or ate something inappropriate?
I have seperated her from the coop/flock and don't know what to do besides that.

Thanks

Definitely sounds like symptoms of respiratory disease - two come to mind that exhibit the swollen comb/wattles and discharge from eyes/nose/mouth: Avian Influenza and Infectious Bronchitis. Contact your local Agricultural Extension Agency or you can call toll-free to the USDA for help. They may put you in contact with your State Veterinarian. These are free services, BTW.

To Reach USDA Veterinarians
Toll-free

1-866-536-7593

Thank you so much for your response. I have had her separated through the night she is still doing the same, although her stool is firm and normal, I understand with Avian flu it is diarrhea. She hasen't eaten yet but we'll see.
I have put a call in to Texas A&M Veterinary school and our local extension of the Ag.

Will let you know what happens.

No diarrhea is a good sign. Another possibility would be Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. As I recall, the comb and wattles can show some swelling with that, too. I hope you will let us all know what you find out. Maybe it can help someone else facing similar symptoms.

MotherJean.

Spoke with TX A&M vet and he thinks it is highly unlikely taht she has Avian Flu..biut more likely a staph or petronilla (Spelling ??) infection, since her comb isn't swollen, nor does she have diarrhea. He told me to give her some Tylan 50 for a few days to see if it clears up..He also said that more then likely her wattles will burst open to release the infection..lovely, right?
i will keep you posted as to how she progresses, still doing the same though.

Back
Top Bottom