6 months old and still no eggs!

CandaceWallace

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Any tips on getting my girls to start laying? They have nice cozy nesting boxes and I even tried putting a fake egg in. Still no results.

I had a hen that waited until she was 6 1/2 months old. Make sure you are feeding them a 16% layer feed with calcium and fresh water. The eggs are (probably) not far away. Watch for signs of laying. They will squat down, (this is their natural response to allow a rooster to mate with them. It's refered to as the "egg squat") sing and their comb and wattles will be very glossy, red and plump right before they lay.

16% layer feed and I mix in calcium shell bits too. They have fresh water everyday. I have two Wyandottes, two Plymouth Barred Rocks, and one Americana.

Are you feeding any scratch grains, scraps or treats?
This is just a guess but the problem is possibly too much calcium. When did you start the layer feed?

Let's say you started at 18 weeks. Now it's been an additional 6 weeks with the 4% calcium in the layer plus whatever the extra oyster shell is giving them. Layer feed is only for birds actively laying eggs. It does nothing to promote laying but is for building shells. Actually higher protein feed can stimulate laying.

One definitely doesn't want to mix oyster shell with layer feed. The pullets need to choose when to eat it so it needs to be in a separate container.

ETA
Wyandottes and Ameraucana can take a while. I think my Rocks usually started about 25 weeks and the Wyandottes a little longer.

Do they have big openings in the coop for light and do they get out early in the day?

Last edited:
They have a huge coop with lots of light. I will see about changing to a higher protein food. The guy at the feed store suggested the layer feed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom