Decorated fake eggs in the nesting box

Poppy Putentake

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Vermont
An Easter Sunday topic: Fake eggs in nesting boxes help encourage the hens to lay there, but a minor problem is telling them apart from the real ones when you check for eggs. You can get wooden eggs in sort of a dark olive drab color, but they tend to be hard to see against the nesting material.
Lately I've been using white (or light colored) wooden eggs, but decorated with a felt tip marker. That makes them very easy to see, but with no chance of mixing them up with real eggs.
My only thought is that the designs could make a difference to the hens, (Could they get hypnotized by the stripes or think hens from outer space have been getting into their coop?) but this does not seem to have been the case for the year or so I've been doing this.
Decorated Nest Eggs.jpg

Which eggs are real and which are fake?​

I also use golf balls as fake eggs. When I mark real eggs to put under a broody hen I use a black Sharpie and make two lines. One goes all the way around the long way and the second one all the way around the short way, making crosses. That way I can easily tell which eggs belong at a glance. Yes, a broad fat easily-seen line. When I tried just one line I had to look closer occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom