6 week chick attacked by feral cat

Do you have blue kote spray? I have used it with good results on chickens, keep her /it warm and dry and try to get the bleeding stopped. If it makes the night you have a good chance of it pulling through. It will be in shock for a few days and you may have to force feed and water. Good luck

Blue Kote actually does an excellent job of covering that type of wound, plus it deadens the pain. You don't want anything that is going to stay wet.
I have seen wounds like that cover over in a few days if taken care of properly.

Right now she's got really labored breathing and is pretty disoriented and lethargic.

It's been a few hours. How is her breathing?

Labored breathing, lethargy and being disoriented is most likely from pain and shock. I agree, vet care is best, but sometimes it's not possible.

You have received good advice from the others. Silvadene is very good, but if what you have on had is triple antibiotic ointment, apply that to the wound to keep it moist.
Personally, I would not use BluKote for such a deep wound, it also colors the wound too much making it hard to monitor for infection. You can also use Vetericyn if you have it.

Do the best you can. Some chickens can bounce back from serious injury, while others succumb to more extensive damage that simply cannot be seen (nerve/spinal and internal crushing). Keep trying to get a little water into her, careful not to choke her.

I'm very sorry about your little chick-I hope she pulls through.

Thank you so much for the great advice!

Her breathing is slow, sporadic and labored. It definitely isn't good. I've continued to give her a few drops of water here and there. Some of it she swallows, some of it just dribbles out.

If she makes it through the night I will be heading in to town first thing to grab some supplies for her. The bleeding has slowed down and I've been having her rest on my lap.
I've got the gauze around her but it's definitely not too tight, and I've been putting pressure where its bled the most.

Attachments

• IMG_20180304_195101015.jpg
    IMG_20180304_195101015.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom