6 week old barred rocks mostly roosters?

Sbm1320

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
We picked up 5 Barred Rocks from our local feed store (not TS). I think they got them from Hoovers, possibly cackle hatchery. They were supposed to be pullets, not straight run, but after googling and reading lots of barred rock gender threads on backyard chickens, I’m worried that 4/5 of my barred rocks are actually roosters! I was always suspicious about one of them, and honestly I wouldn’t mind having a rooster. But we may want to pick up some more egg layers if we have 4 roosters 😅 I only see one that is dark with not much barring. She doesn’t have a comb to speak of. The others have combs, through they are not all dark - some are more pink and one or two are pretty red looking. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• A7C7F85C-DADF-422C-B0F7-6B99EF01EBBB.jpeg
    A7C7F85C-DADF-422C-B0F7-6B99EF01EBBB.jpeg
    772.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 6BC51D9A-6A7F-4C0C-A5CB-C1442F93ED4A.jpeg
    6BC51D9A-6A7F-4C0C-A5CB-C1442F93ED4A.jpeg
    919.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 5EF35C1E-CF1B-4AE2-B46F-3D4C8C60F881.jpeg
    5EF35C1E-CF1B-4AE2-B46F-3D4C8C60F881.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 91
We picked up 5 Barred Rocks from our local feed store (not TS). I think they got them from Hoovers, possibly cackle hatchery. They were supposed to be pullets, not straight run, but after googling and reading lots of barred rock gender threads on backyard chickens, I’m worried that 4/5 of my barred rocks are actually roosters! I was always suspicious about one of them, and honestly I wouldn’t mind having a rooster. But we may want to pick up some more egg layers if we have 4 roosters 😅 I only see one that is dark with not much barring. She doesn’t have a comb to speak of. The others have combs, through they are not all dark - some are more pink and one or two are pretty red looking. What are your thoughts?
Man, I mean, yeah it’s not looking great for you. Looks like all males except for 1st picture, dark one is female.

Yes, mostly boys.
I went though this a few months ago. I ordered a dozen females and was sent 13 chicks.
As they grew a bit, I noticed that some were darker than others.
Turns out that Rocks are light or dark based on gender.
Basically roos are dark markings on light background, and girls are the inverse. - light markings on dark background.
Another clue is leg color - boys have light colored legs and girls have dark ones.
There are some that are kind of in between.

Back
Top Bottom