6 week old chick with fractured neck

daisydo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Georgia
My baby, Maggie, was attacked last Friday evening by a hawk. I was sitting out there with them about 4ft away. Anyway a hawk got a talon on her, and she started flopping.. I picked her up and saw where he got her.. There was only one small place the size of a pencil eraser. I took her to the vet on Saturday morning. He said he thinks she fractured her neck. Her heartbeat was strong, and showed no sign of stress, just couldn't stand and her head hung to the right side. Her eyes showed no neurological damage. He put a neck brace on her and gave her a pain shot. He also gave me pain med's. He said to give it 3/4 days, if she stands she might make it. Well I've been feeding her with a syringe and giving her nutri drench for poultry. It's been 6 days since and she is standing, and walking some. Have to leave the neck brace on for another 2 weeks.. I take her to work with me, and keep her in a laundry basket. I think she may be blind, but we won't know just yet. She is one special chicky chick! I love her so much... I end up holding her most of the day!
It amazes me how strong a chicken is!!!!

It sounds like she suffered from wry neck after being injured. It's good to hear that she is recovering, but sorry that she seems to be blind. We have hawks here constantly trying to get the chickens. Fortunately they hide under the pine trees when they see or hear one.

Back
Top Bottom