6 week old welsummers

Oct 22, 2021
I purchased these 2 Welsummers from my pet chicken and they are now 6 weeks old. They were supposed to be both females, but I think I got a male and a female. I have never raised welsummers before so I am not 100% sure, what do y'all think?
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.15.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.16.14 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.16.51 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.17.01 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.17.21 AM.png

I believe Welsummers are auto-sexing - pullets have a defined dark triangle on top their head, cockerels have a blurred-edge (less defined) triangle. Check this video:
They aren’t classed as autosexing as there can sometimes be in-between looking ones and the two types aren’t as distinct as seen in legbars or welbars. However, the pattern you describe is spot on, as well as the fact the pullets have more distinct ‘eyeliner’.

9/10 wellies can be sexed like this when they hatch.

They aren’t classed as autosexing as there can sometimes be in-between looking ones and the two types aren’t as distinct as seen in legbars or welbars. However, the pattern you describe is spot on, as well as the fact the pullets have more distinct ‘eyeliner’.

9/10 wellies can be sexed like this when they hatch.
I can confirm that the eyeliner trick isn't completely accurate, especially if you have hatchery quality birds, which is why they're not considered autosexing. I had a cockerel with defined eyeliner and triangle markings.

At least they can be very accurately sexed once chest feathers come in.

Back
Top Bottom