6 week RIR and Lavender Orpington and 3 week Silver Sebright - Can you tell if Roo or Pullet?

lilcowmama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2016
Elk Grove, CA

Cora, 6 weeks, Rhode Island Red (Bought as pullet)

Cora, closer shot

Becky - 3 weeks, Silver Sebright (Bought as straight run)

She/He has a few plucky little tail feathers. Is that any kind of an indicator?

No name yet, Lavendor Orpington, 6 weeks (Bought as straight run)

Maybe it's too early to tell on any of them, but what do you guys think? Thank you!!!
big_smile.png

No one's screaming cockerel at this point. The Sebright's too young to sex yet, it may still sprout a comb. But the other two are ladies.

The first looks like a hen the second roo and the third is hen
Thank you for your feedback, ShelleyBear!
smile.png

No one's screaming cockerel at this point. The Sebright's too young to sex yet, it may still sprout a comb. But the other two are ladies.
Thank you, donrae! I hope it's a lil lady. I was reading on another thread that you can start to tell on the Sebrights at around 6 weeks, so I guess I will have to wait and see!
tongue.png

My sebright Roos looked like that when they were younger. I hope yours is a hen, either way they are both a handful. :)

My sebright Roos looked like that when they were younger. I hope yours is a hen, either way they are both a handful.
smile.png
Haha! Yeah, for being so little, that Sebright is spunky and can hold it's own with the older chicks. I was worried about it being bullied, but they all seem to get along really well, thank goodness.

Well, they are now 18 weeks and 15 weeks, respectively. This morning, I heard a little crow. I didn't see who did it, so I'm back with some new pictures to see if anyone can tell me what they think now!

Here are all three of them together.

Side view of Violet (Maybe a Vincent? haha) 18 week Lavender Orpington - Hard to tell in pics, but this one is huge in comparison. Private breeder vs the other two which were hatchery. And obviously the breed comes into play as well. This one is the most timid of the three.

15 week Silver Sebright - Becky - maybe now a Bruce? lol

Very curious about the camera.

18 week Rhode Island Red - Cora, maybe a Cory? lol

Also curious about the camera

Here's a video of two of them having a dust bath. The grey one makes an interesting sound, almost like purring!
0.jpg

If anyone has any insight as to who might be the crowing culprit, please chime in! Unfortunately, we can't have roosters here and I'll have to figure out what to do soon...

Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom